Hexacopter drones tabulated data for vibration

Hello everyone,

I discovered this blog while searching for tabulated data on Hexacopter drones so i am not sure if this is the correct platform. Our current project involves designing a custom optical sensor intended for mounting on a Hexacopter drone. As we prepare our proposal, it’s essential to address the vibration analysis aspect, despite having limited information about the working conditions due to confidentiality concerns.

Our project scope primarily focuses on optimizing the performance of our optical device when integrated with the drone, rather than conducting a comprehensive study of the drone itself. Therefore, I’m seeking generic drone tabulated vibration data to gain an overview of typical vibration profiles. While we plan to utilize a vibration data logger in the future to capture all possible vibrations and shocks experienced by the drone, this option is not currently available within our proposal.

Here are the basic specifications for the Hexacopter drone we are working with:

• Number of motors: 6
  • Rotor: Two-blade
  • Motor speed: 8000 rpm
  • Dimensions: 71 x 76 x 98 cm
  • Weight: 8.5 kg
  • Payload: 5 kg
  • Speed: 5 m/s

Trip Conditions:

• Max Altitude: 500 ft
  • Wind: Not known (assuming average speed for a non-windy zone)
  • Trip duration: 10 minutes
  • Trip profile: Takeoff, ascent, slow hovering, descent, landing

While these specifications provide some information, they may not be sufficient, and drone profiles can vary. Therefore, I would appreciate it if anyone with similar drone specifications could share their vibration data. This would greatly assist us in initiating our studies in this area.

Thank you for your assistance

Just search this forum for “vibrations” and “harmonic notch filter”
The primary vibration comes from the motors, so is dependant on motor RPM.
Frame stiffness is essential.

You cant really fly a multirotor without compensating for vibrations in some way, so usually whatever autopilot and firmware you are using will be logging the vibration data. If it’s not then switch to something that is.

My advice would be get the copter tuned and working as well as possible first, then add your experiment.

Get into ecalc and check that you chosen components can actually do what you expect.
8.5kg is a lot when you dont specify what motors, ESCs and props you are using.

eCalc - xcopterCalc - the most reliable Multicopter Calculator on the Web

Thank you for the prompt response and support.

Currently, we don’t have access to the drone and we have too few pieces of information shared with us. So, you can say that we have to rely on generic data until our proposal gets accepted.

“We build optical devices”, some of which are mounted in harsh environments that have standards to follow. However, we’ve never dealt with drones before, so we are in the early exploration phase of this project.

I checked for “vibration” earlier in this forum; however, most of the shared data in the threads are plots, and I couldn’t extract any tabulated data from the shared logs either. So, I was wondering if I could find this raw data to use as a benchmark for our analysis

Search this forum for .bin log file, and download as many as you can.
They contain the data you seek, amplitude frequency and so on.

Thanks for the tip.
I am currently using Mission Planner to read the log files that I have downloaded from various threads. Is there an option within Mission Planner to extract vibration data exclusively from the logged data? Has this topic been discussed in any thread?

No there is no such option. Do you use MATLAB?

If yes use ardupilog

Many thanks!!! you were very helpful.