Help regarding camera for mapping platform on Skywalker X8

Hello, I am building a skywalker X8 for mapping purpose. I have decided to use Sony a6000 for the purpose. I want help regarding selection of the lens for sony a6000. Which lens would be best for this purpose. I have a 16mm lens. Is that okay?

Also I want to mount camera using 3d printed mount. Is there any stl file for the mount?
Thanks for your time.
Cheers!
Shubham Thakur

I found the 16mm pancake lens very difficult to focus, especially for hi res imagery. I use a 19mm lens which works well. It’s much longer however, so you need to build a good cradle for it.

Iam

Shubham_Thakur

March 7
Hello, I am building a skywalker X8 for mapping purpose. I have decided to use Sony a6000 for the purpose. I want help regarding selection of the lens for sony a6000. Which lens would be best for this purpose. I have a 16mm
lens. Is that okay?

Also I want to mount camera using 3d printed mount. Is there any stl file for the mount?
Thanks for your time.
Cheers!
Shubham Thakur

1 Like

Agree ! 20mm pancake is far away better.

@iskess , I guess you are talking about sigma one.

If you want to keep this focal, you need a more expensive an heavier lens like voigtlander 15mm …

Yes, the Sigma 19 works well, not too pricey.

Iam

kikislater

Sylvain POULAIN

March 8
Agree ! 20mm pancake is far away better.

@iskess , I guess you are talking about sigma one.

If you want to keep this focal, you need a more expensive an heavier lens like voigtlander 15mm …

Thank you @kikislater @iskess for help

Cheers!
Shubham Thakur

The 19 mm and 20 mm lenses are not available in my region.
Is there any other alternative for them.
Also,
What effects will I have on m outputs if I use lens with focal length greater than 20?
What were the conditions you faced problems when using 16mm lens

Thanks

Shubham Thakur

hello @kikislater @iskess

I have a 16-50 lens. Will that work for mapping?

Can you help choose between sigma 19mm, pancake 16mm and pancake 20 mm?

thanks

first pancake 20 mm , second sigma 19mm (only for the size)…pancake 16 mm, I would try to avoid it.