Help 5 inch racing FPV drone Tunning using Ardupilot

Hi All,

I am working on a Racing FPV with a small quad 5 inch and 450gm. The idea is to build a bigger and faster drone progressively.

I am following the guide on " How to methodically tune (almost) any multicopter using ArduCopter 4.4.x" However I got to the point where I am happy with the PID tune but the drone is still not responding as fast as it should.

Some relevant information:

Hardware set up

Frame: ImpulseRC Apex (custom version with a 211mm motor to motor distance)
Motors: Axisflying 2207 2125kv
ESC: Holybro Tekko32 65A
FC: Matek H743-Slim V3
Video System: DJI/Caddx Vista
Receiver: TBS Crossfire Nano
Props: Axisflying BB4943.5

Firmware

ArduCopter V4.4.4 (db53a28f)
ChibiOS: 17a50e3a
Official release:
ArduCopter-stable, ArduCopter-stable-heli, Copter-4.4.4

Flight Controller

MatekH743-bdshot 0025001C 32325110 36363539

Board ID: 1013 MATEKH743

Inertial Sensors

IMU 1ICM42688 via SPI

Use: :white_check_mark:
Accel calibration: :white_check_mark:
Gyro calibration: :white_check_mark:
Accel temperature calibration: :white_check_mark:
Gyro temperature calibration: :white_check_mark:
Position offset: :x:
Accel health: :white_check_mark:
Gyro health: :white_check_mark: IMU 2ICM42688 via SPI

Use: :white_check_mark:
Accel calibration: :white_check_mark:
Gyro calibration: :white_check_mark:
Accel temperature calibration: :white_check_mark:
Gyro temperature calibration: :white_check_mark:
Position offset: :x:
Accel health: :white_check_mark:
Gyro health: :white_check_mark:

Important to note that I have a GPS but I am not using it yet as I want to get it flying in ACRO and stabilized mode first.

###########filter set up#########
Harmonic Notch Filter dynamic frequency tracking mode I am using Throttle-based updates.
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1

This graph shows my start point for the filters

and here is the PID response as well as the vibration logs
PID roll

PID for pitch

As you can see from the graphs the drone seems to be generating good data however when I fly it feels incredibly slow to react in both acro and stabilize mode. I included 2 BIN files for reference any help would be highly appreciated

PFV 5 Inch Tune BIN files

Thanks

please post the intermediate .param files as well.

is probably quite close to what you are doing

Hi thanks for looking into this here is the param list

5inchfpvrace.param (21.8 KB)

In addition to my previous comment, I am adding a bit more info to explain in a bit more detail what I am experiencing while flying the drone. The main problem comes when performing high-speed maneuvers, the drone tends to lose control, especially on the pitch axis.

That is a single file, can you post a .zip file with all the 40 intermediate .param files?

Here are the intermediate .param files, some files contain NA in the file name which means I didn’t modify and left on default settings because they are not necessary for my current purpose, or at least not for now. I hope this helps, looking forward to hear your feedback

On the 02 file: INS_TCAL1_ENABLE and INS_TCAL2_ENABLE must be 2

On the 05 file: you did not update the “reason changed” comment for the parameters that you changed

On 07 excelent job

on 10: why not limit GPS_GNSS_MODE ??

on file 16 INS_HNTCH_REF must be the MOT_THST_HOVER

0n 18 all are wrong :frowning: please do follow the instructions on the comments

Hi @amilcarlucas, apologies for the delay in my response, I did more testing with your recommendations please see my answers below.

On the 02 file: INS_TCAL1_ENABLE and INS_TCAL2_ENABLE must be 2

Re. On completion, the INS_TCALn_ENABLE parameters will change to 1 (enable ) for each calibrated IMU. I thought this was supposed to leave this parameter to 1 after the calibration is done. please confirm.

On the 05 file: you did not update the “reason changed” comment for the parameters that you changed
Re. I added details to my RC configuration

On 07 excellent job
:+1: :+1:

on 10: why not limit GPS_GNSS_MODE ??
Re. Files updated limit to 3 constellations added

on file 16 INS_HNTCH_REF must be the MOT_THST_HOVER
Re. Files updated to the same value as MOT_THST_HOVER

0n 18 all are wrong :frowning: please do follow the instructions on the comments
Re. Updated parameters according to the comments and flight tested again. My throttle hover value is 0.07 which is outside the range so I set it up to the minimum of 0.2

I added a new folder with the updated parameters and a new BIN file with a hover test, any help to get this drone flying more responsive would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Can I include your parameters as an example on GitHub - ArduPilot/MethodicConfigurator: A clear ArduPilot configuration sequence ?
And release them as part of that software under the GPLv3 License?

yes feel free to use it

1 Like

I set on my fpv min RPM 0,04 RPM Arm 0,06
Hover Thr 0,11
Otherwice it flying after arm itself :rofl: