Heavy Current Draw in Hexa copter - S550 design

Hi All , GM.

Wishing the Arducopter Community a very happy new year and looking for forward learning through you guys as always. May this community grow to 100 folds in coming year.

Team i am facing a issue of heavy current draw for my hexacoter , with readytosky 920 kv motrors and readytosky ESC 40A motors.

Attaching the dataflash logs and tlogs of the flight - which is taken with reverse propeller fit to draw the maximum current and check which esc or motor is creating the problem.
We use this technique to generate a proxy thrust across all motors with propellers to get the realistic current draw for simulated in-air flight thrust on ground itself.

As we throttle up and see which device is pulling the current abruptly (starting from 1A to 41 A) and causing our battey to drop quick voltaages in less seconds.

Attaching the correspoing tlogs and dlogs in the attahcment . Pls refer the latest one and generate the behaviour. (use the latest one for dataflash log - 00003.bin -max size)

Conclusion we are drawing are our ESCs BEC seems to be fried and it is not having any check on the how much current need to sent to motors. The motors are drawing maximum current in short span of time and causing the battery voltage drop not in stable manner.

Pls help for exact reason.

Looking forward for some understanding urgently.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eKcZaM7lGSymO9s5TpIizqPOKlvj3nfg?usp=sharing

Regards
Calibrate.

You seam to be testing a closed loop control system in an open loop fashion. The results are invalid and not representative of the behaviour in real flight.

I know this reverse prop method is on the website, but honestly it’s not my favorite. If you insist on using it make sure the quad is in Stabilized mode, not loiter. In loiter mode the flight controller is trying to level or adjust the drone and because, as has been pointed out, it’s a closed loop system you will get unexpected motor reactions.

My suggestion would be to forget the reversed props, and proceed with the Initial Parameter setup and fly the drone as per the instructions in the wiki. I noticed the initial parameters are still default so you should run this script in Mission Planner before you fly. After you have the drone flying and tuned, then you can come back to the current calibration by comparing flight logs and the results from your battery charger.

1 Like

Nothing can be learned from those logs other than what @Allister suggested by extracting the parameter file.