Glider for my son

Hello,

I’m new.
My kid would like to build his own RC glider. With FPV camera.
He’s planning to launch from a nearby summit.

In order to achieve this, what would be the best setup?
I think that he would need basic flight data sensors (GPS, altitude, etc.) and camera + long range emitter. Long range RC controls as well.

Do you think that ardupilot would a suitable solution?
Do you know which hardware would be appropriate?

edit: it’s more medium range (2-5kms)

Thanks,

Ouais

The best setup is always an individual thing …

I would go for:
Volantex Ranger 2000 or Phoenix 2000
SpeedyBee F405 Wing + GPS M10
RC system ExpressLRS
Choice of digital or analog video system

You can do a lot with that.

1 Like

I agree with Reinhard with the exception of the flight controller.
I recommend to get a Matek F405 WING instead of a SpeedyBee F405 WING. It’s ~15$ more expensive but it is better quality and has by far the better documentation. Calculation power on a F4 FC is limited though, so depending on what your son plans to do in the future, a Matek H743 WING might be even better suited.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. To make it simpler, could I purchase a glider PNP kit (or RTF) and a good transmitter (frsky or spektrum) and replace the transmission module with a long range module (for both RX and TX)?

For FPV, do you know if modules with embedded controls/telemetry and video transmissions exist?

Btw, I already have some old skyzone goggles with 3D cameras (and transmitter) but it’s not long range. In the past, analog was real-time whereas digital was lagging. Maybe now there are digital solutions without lag?
With an easy set up to display the video (mobile phone, simple base station or whatever).

Or a Radiomaster which I would choose before those two both of which I have owned.

2 Likes

I myself have Ranger 2000 and Phoenix 2000 (and other Volantex) as PNP versions and am satisfied.

As a transmitter you could buy a Radiomaster Boxer in the ELRS version or one of the other Radiomaster transmitters also in the ELRS version. Then add an ELRS receiver and you have your long range setup …

1 Like

I’m actually also a Matek fan …, the reason why I recommended the SpeedyBee Wing is that beginners find it easier to connect the components because the essential things can be plugged in directly if you buy the right equipment.

Otherwise your recommendation for the Matek F405 Wing is ok, the v2 version is up to date. My standard FC is a Matek H743-WLITE. It’s good, but also significantly more expensive.

2 Likes

The Volantex gliders are coming without FC?

When you say that it’s easier to plug in, do you mean that it’s without soldering?
Is it plug and play?

And at last, when I say long range, it’s ~2-5kms max.

They either come as a kit, where you have to buy and install the servos, motor and ESC yourself, or as a PNP where these things are already included. Experienced model builders usually take the kit and equip it themselves. I have had good experiences with PNP myself and would only replace the prop and spinner directly on the Phoenix models.

None of the models have an FC. But it can be fitted anywhere.

No, you also have to solder the SpeedyBee F405 Wing. Namely the pin headers for the servo contacts and RC input. The rest is plug & play. Just take a look at the FC on the SpeedyBee website.

One last question: what experience do you have with model airplanes, RC systems and FCs?

I had some FPV quadcopters a few years ago. I only flied them. And nothing expensive. And nothing I built myself.
And repaired them but it was easy (walkera racer).

Oh, then it will certainly be a steep learning curve … :grinning:

Yep I know :slight_smile:

But the goal is more for my kid to discover this hobby and try to build something. It’s better than spending time on stupid videos on Youtube.

1 Like

I also recommend the Volantex Ranger 1600/2000 very highly. They are affordable, almost indestructible and they fly beautifully. The PNP versions require you install and connect only the battery and receiver. You might want to first experiment with trying to fly it without the FC and FPV , both planes are relatively large and hand launching them takes some practice. But best of all, your son will love it (mine did). Also, check out Andrew Newton’s YouTube channel - there’s tons of info there about building, launching, and getting the CG right