Give up on internal compass in small drones

When building a small drone, my internal compass almost certainly will have anomally. I understand the issue with power cable with FC etc but it seems there is just no place to put in between. Tried EMS tapes that offer little helps.

How do FPV people get their internal compass working? Or its less sensitive than a pixhawk?

So far I can only resort to disabiling internal compass.

Hi Joseph.

I agree absolutely.

Which Flight controller do you have?

I found similar issues with internal compass on my OpenPilot Revolution clone. ( Note not an original. I don’t know if that had issues) I have heard that other FC also have issues. The data sheets for compass are usually very clear about not putting circuit traces, especially power traces, near the compass ic, but that is tricky on a small pcb, so then the compass will be affected by changing currents in the nearby traces on the pcb and may become pretty much useless, except for ticking the onboard compass spec on the sales info.

It sounds like you have tried the motor compensation, but I put the link here for others to try, if they come across the issue Advanced Compass Setup — Copter documentation

The best solution other than trying a different FC, if you can, is to use an external compass of course and try to site it in best position, away from power cables, servos, transmitters etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Yes I did tried that Its really hard on a small drone with limited space avail to move the FC around. Still getting like 70% interference. I guess the only way is just to only use external compass.

Thanks for the info. I just did another compass calibration, it works well now. Problem I face I believed is the optical flow.

1 Like