Getting a double flashing yellow led on Pixhawk 1 at boot up

When my old Pixhawk 1 v2 boots up I get a double flashing yellow led when using either version 4.0.0, 4.4.0 or even version 3.5.2.
I am using version 4.0.0 because 4.4.0 won’t recognize my U-blox ZED-F9P on UART4 as GPS2 while version 4.0.0 will. Both version 4.0.0 and 4.4.0 recognize the 3DR GPS on the GPS connection.

There is no indication in the HUD or the Messages tab of any preflight issues and when I press and hold the blinking safety switch, which goes solid, and the HUD displays “ready to arm”, the led becomes a blinking green and then becomes a solid green when I click the Arm/Disarm button and goes back to a blinking green when I click the Arm/Disarm button again.

According to the Rover documentation I should not be able to arm the Pixhawk when I have a double flashing yellow led at boot up.

Comments please!

1 Like

Hi @TCIII,

I think it would be best to stick with 4.4 (or even 4.5.0-beta) as a first step. We don’t normally provide support for software that is more than 2 version or 2 years old. I’ve moved this discussion to the 4.4 category.

I’d like to see a log file if possible.

As a random guess maybe check that ARMING_REQUIRED = 1. Also check that GPS_TYPE2 exists… if it does then we should be able to get the 2nd GPS working.

Flashing yellow means prearm checks are failing.

I’m guessing the GPS config is failing because you have too many ports set up for GPS, which may have passed muster a while back, but it’s now guarded against.

As Randy says, update your firmware. Provide a .bin log or parameter file, at a minimum.

@Yuri_Rage,
Only two ports setup for GPS and works fine with version 4.0.0, but not version 4.4.0
I still don’t understand how I am able to arm the Pixhawk 1 v2 and get the solid green led when the led is flashing double yellow after boot up and accel calibration.

@rmackay9,
I will work with your suggestions and get back to you asap.

Really need to see your parameters or a log file to determine anything of value.

@rmackay9,
I have attempted to attach a Data Flash log that is smaller (3.8MB) than the upload limit of 4.4MB, but the upload function keeps telling me that the file is larger than 4.4MB. So I emailed it and added it to Dropbox. The link to the file in Dropbox is in my post below.

I recorded this file by doing the following with my Pixhawk 1 running ArduRover v 4.0.0:

1. Booted up Pixhawk and received double flashing yellow led.
  2. Turned on RC Transmitter.
  3. Connected MP to the Pixhawk 1
  4. Verified that all the checked preflight requirements were green.
  5. Waited until both GPSs showed either 3D Fix or 3D dgps.
  6. HUD showed “Disarmed” and “Ready to Arm”
  7. Pushed the safety switch until it stopped blinking.
  8. Led went from double flashing yellow to flashing green.
  9. Clicked on the Arm/Disarm button on the Action Tab.
  10. Received a tone and the led turned solid green.
  11. The HUD then displayed “Armed”.
  12. Proceeded to Arm and Disarm four times.

Reviewed the flash data log with MP and the Arm/Disarm value went from 0 to 1 and back to 0 four times indicating successful arming even though the initial state of the led is double flashing yellow.

ArduRover v 4.4.0 acts the same way only it will not recognize the second GPS on GPS2.

Save it to a cloud service (Dropbox, etc) and post a link to it. Routine for posting log files.

1 Like

@rmackay9,
Okay, here is a link to my flash data log.

Before getting any further you should update the firmware to current Stable and use the Pixhawk1-1M version of firmware. 4.0 with fmuv2 is very old. And then troubleshoot from there.

What we need is a 4.4 or 4.5 beta log to troubleshoot.

1 Like

@Yuri_Rage,
Okay. I will load on ArduRover 4.4.0 tomorrow and record the same Arm/Disarm test sequence again and post the Flash Data Long on Dropbox.

To make sure you get the right firmware dowload the .apj file from here and use Mission Planners “load custom firmware” option to flash it.
Rover Pixhawk1-1M

1 Like

@dkemxr,
Thanks for the tip, will do.

@dkemxr,
Did as you suggested and loaded the Rover Pihxak1-1M file onto the Pixhawk 1.

1. Booted up Pixhawk and still received double flashing yellow led.
  2. Turned on RC Transmitter.
  3. Connected MP to the Pixhawk 1
  4. Verified that all the checked preflight requirements were green.
  5. Waited until both GPSs showed either 3D Fix or 3D dgps.
  6. HUD showed “Disarmed”, “Not Ready to Arm” and a red “Prearm: Safety switch”.
  7. Pushed the safety switch until it stopped blinking and “Prearm: Safety switch” message cleared.
  8. Led went from double flashing yellow to flashing green.
  9. HUD then displayed “Disarmed” and “Ready to Arm”.
  10. Clicked on the Arm/Disarm button on the Action Tab.
  11. Received a tone and the led turned solid green.
  12. The HUD then displayed “Armed”.
  13. Proceeded to Arm and Disarm four times.

I am attaching a link to the Flash Data Log for you or Randy to review.

That sounds like expected behavior with 2 good GPS fixes. What’s the issue to review?

@Yuri_Rage,
So a double flashing yellow led is “expected behavior”?
However, from the ArduRover documentation:
" Double flashing yellow: Failing pre-arm checks (system refuses to arm).
Then please explain how I can arm my Pixhawk 1 v2 (items 9 - 12 in the actions/observations above) with a double flashing yellow led if this is “expected behavior.”

You should expect failed prearm checks for some period after initial boot while internal calibrations/alignment happen and satellites are not yet acquired. When all systems pass that check (including the safety switch), the LED turns green, indicating ready to arm. Your steps above seem logical and correct, with correctly displayed behavior.

If, on the other hand, you can arm the vehicle while the LEDs are still flashing yellow, then ARMING_CHECKS are probably turned off (0), hence Randy’s first recommendation above.

It appears in your most recent post that the GPS issue is also resolved. Am I reading that correctly?

This can be insufficient info for a good positional fix that EKF will be happy with. You want to wait for these messages:
EKF3 IMU1 is using GPS
EKF3 IMU1 origin set
EKF3 IMU0 is using GPS
EKF3 IMU0 origin set

They vary depending on the FC you have.

@Yuri_Rage,
The GPS issue was corrected with the Rover Pixhawk1-1M software upload and not version 4.4.0 which will not detect GPS2, but version 4.0.0 will detect GPS2.
No, the “ARMING_CHECK” is enabled (1).

The whole point of this discussion is that even with the double blinking yellow led and “ARMING_CHECK” enabled, I am able to arm my Pixhawk 1 v2, using software version 4.0.0 and Rover Pixhawk1-1M software, which the ArduRover documentation states cannot be done in that state.