Geo-fence problem - model not loitering in 15m radius circle

After the fence was activated the model flew in a large roughly oval loiter pattern about 300x200m (measured in FlightCoach’s plotter) and always over-flew the launch position. It flew well beyond the fence boundary when loitering even though the fence rectangle was about 180x250m.

This happened with the FENCE_TYPE set to 11 (home centred circle, max alt, min alt) and 13 (polygon, max alt, min alt). Fence is enabled on an RC channel, and the RTL_RADIUS and the loiter radius are both set to 15m. The fence was set up in Mission Planner.

I have Arduplane V4.3.7 installed on a Matek H743 board in a 1.2m span aerobatic model.

I want to try using a geofence to rescue the model if I lose control or orientation.

On reflection I think that the model could have been below the minimum altitude when I enable fence.

Does anyone know what is going wrong and how I can fix it?

BIN file

Initially I thought it might be a compass calibration problem giving toilet bowling so I re-calibrated the compass with a Very Strict setting and got 99% result. Unfortunately this didn’t fix the problem.

The plane is coming up against it’s maximum roll rate of 30 degrees. This is set by LIM_ROLL_CD. (Centidegrees, so 30 degrees is expressed as 3000).

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/parameters-Plane-stable-V4.3.7.html#lim-roll-cd-maximum-bank-angle

Basically the plane is turning as sharp as it can in a controlled mode. Obviously in Manual mode there are no such limits. You can adjust that limit of course, but as you increase risk of stall if the rest of the setup is not correct. There are some pretty big swings in the speed, from 10m/s to nearly 25m/s. That seems like a big range so you might want to look at dialing in the tecs tuning and verifying that everything else is good before you crank up the roll rate too much. If it’s an acrobatic plane then I’m sure it can do it, but you need to make sure the tune of the flight controller knows how to handle it.

1 Like

Thank you very much Allister, I think you have spotted the problem. I will try increasing the bank limit by 5 degrees and see if that reduced the radius. I will look into the speed control as well.

15m is a very small circle for a plane, i fly a larger wingspan but normally my loiter rad is set at 120m or more.

2 Likes

Yes thank you for your suggestion, I think you are right and I will increased this to 50m for my next test when the weather improves. If this works I could gradually reduce it.