GCS Failsafe by disabling Radio failsafe

Hello,
I am working on GCS FAILSAFE feature in arducopter v4.3.7.

I turned off my radio (also disabled radio failsafe) and controlled the drone through mission planner (loiter mode).

I had enabled the GCS Failsafe and set to LAND when triggered. I took of in loiter mode (Mission Planner) and closed mission planner, But the drone took crash land.

Am I missing something ?

Please help
@xfacta @dkemxr @amilcarlucas

What parameters did you actually set for GCS failsafe?

There is:

FS_GCS_TIMEOUT
FS_OPTIONS
FS_GCS_ENABLE

FS_GCS_ENABLE = 5 (LAND)
FS_OPTIONS = Not set
FS_GCS_TIMEOUT = 5 seconds

1 Like

@xfacta

If I turn on my radio and keep throttle to 50% and disconnect my GCS, the failsafe will trigger properly(LAND).

But if I turn off my radio or keep throttle to minimum and disconnect my GCS. The drone will crash land.

In both the cases I have turned off radio failsafe.

It would be handy to see the .bin log

At the moment I can only thing I can think of is this from the doco
“If the copter is armed in Stabilize or Acro modes, and the throttle input is at minimum, the copter will immediately disarm.”

Maybe it will help to set the default flight mode to Loiter or Guided with INITIAL_MODE

Yes @xfacta Sir.
The default mode of the copter is Loiter.

The test log files are here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hcexJ7WN5xwqaCFzNABvxONHlgJJlgWM?usp=sharing

I would probably have this set anyway
FS_OPTIONS,8

I can see packets stop being received from the GCS but your throttle goes to 0 (1000PWM) and so the copter starts going down - the GCS failsafe does happen, but only after 5 seconds of no packets and by then the copter is already on the ground.

I think a contributing factor is your RC receiver is still outputting something.
There’s two types of receivers, and some can be set during binding or by options in the transmitter:

1. No Pulses - loss of signal outputs NO signals at all, as if there’s not even a receiver connected - this is preferred.
  2. Fixed output upon signal loss - channels return to how they were when the transmitter and receiver were bound - I think you have this

So you need to either set your transmitter and receiver to no pulses, or if your equipment wont allow that it might be unsuitable for your purpose but you have to:

• Set your transmitter throttle trim way down so the throttle channel output is less than ~950PWM
  • And set your other channels exactly how you want them to be under failsafe conditions (eg: flight mode and other switches) and then do the binding procedure
  • put your throttle trim back to neutral, how it should be

Apart from the RC receiver stuff, I’m not yet sure where to go. You might try setting the default mode to Guided and shorten the GCS failsafe timeout.

Without a .bin log file is just guesswork and speculation. Help us help you. Post one.

Hello @amilcarlucas

I have uploaded the bin here.

GCS_FAILSAFE - Google Drive 1