Free Stuff! Need Help Testing devFrame

That’s awesome! Could you share some close up pics? Interested to see how you’ve routed power etc :slight_smile:

Google Photos

Sure. I basically took the whole stack off my 250 quad and dumped it on here - just had to re-wire the ESCs :slight_smile: I’d like to clean up the ESC wiring a bit - mainly to separate it from my video to prevent noise.

Great work and very rewarding to see the frame in flight. Don’t think I have flown in months.

Just got first version of Power, Motor, ESC page done on docs.

I think I should have the base 450 build docs done by end of this week.

1 Like

Docs are done through the basic hardware build. Next up is firmware.

Well my 10mm carbon rods have arrive, and it looks like my 12mm should arrive this week. Then I can finally get to building

1 Like

Great docs, I wish I had these as a newbie a couple of years ago - would have saved me a LOT of time and frustration :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really Really good ; Quad Frame for Dummies

1 Like

@ppoirier Have one more slot left for our Early Adopter Program;-) Just let me know and I can print you up some parts and send them your way. I’ll even pay for the shipping up North since you have already done plenty for The Community.

What do you want for logs? I’ve used logs in Betaflight a bit but never in Arducopter. Out flying again today tweaking stuff and was curious what I should be capturing. Off to read the log docs :slight_smile:

1 Like

really most interested in parameter file after you tune. if we combine that with your list of equipment and basic specs we have good start for a community build. you are also the only one we have that is using PLA so long term data on how it holds up will be valuable as well. also, a short overview video of the build would be nice but not required if we have a few good pics that tell the story.

Thanks for the offer but I leave it to someone else as I have a couple of ABS capable printers at the shop and I will certainly give it a try a little bit later.

1 Like

Had another good day out today - was a bit windy so no tuning but I tinkered around with failsafe options and Smart RTL. Did manage to break one of the landing legs. Not sure if it was cracked from last weekends tree incident or what. Will work on some pics and a quick write up of my setup this week and post here.

1 Like

Getting started here myself. Too bad Amazon sent two sets of 12x10 tubes instead of a set of 12 x 10 and a set of 10 x 8.

I have a Raspberry Pi and Navio 2 I’m thinking of putting in this.

IMG_2159

1 Like

looking at several pictures here your approach makes most sense - an H frame. you need to use 4 10mm tubes for the frame and 2 long 16mm or 24mm tubes for motors - depending upon size. that is how pretty much most heavy lifters are built.

those 3d printed parts look like they can be a bit too heavy for models smaller than 450mm to make practical sense. just ditch 4 independent motor arms - it really has to be 2 long motor tubes at 90 deg angle to 4 frame tubes to sustain practical damage from possible crashes ok. foldability - it that was the intent, in my opinion, is a minus for such models, it only reduces rigidity and more prone to breaks.

devFrame is not a heavy lifter. @fnoop was sharing a pic from when we started this project a couple years ago; it was a tank when we started. Latest design is 2kg max. Not designed to fold. You can run two long arm tubes if you want. Our empirical crash test data says its not required. devframe has some unique design goals which are explained in docs.

ArduPilot setup page v1 is up on Docs

So my PLA printed frame is showing some signs of stress. I did have a failsafe which landed it in some trees and had a few hard landings when messing with RTL options.

First notice some cracks in my motor mounts
Google Photos

And while replacing one of those I noticed the arm was a bit loose :slight_smile:
Google Photos

Got a roll of PETG and will print replacements tomorrow and see how that holds up.

Once things open back up I may build an enclosure and eventually can do ABS but in the meantime I’ll improvise.

Good testing and feedback @thecrumb! Did you possibly tighten them too much? What infill were they printed with?

Also (unrelated) I’ve put out a call for help for suggestions to convert the devFrame to a rover, if anyone has any suggestions:
https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/can-i-use-standard-escs-for-rover

Yep - 100% infill. I imagine they were stressed during a mishap :slight_smile: and then when I tightened it a bit more it cracked.

Maybe @cglusky can advise better, but perhaps a smaller infill will actually allow more ‘give’ for the screws when they go in, and give less chance of cracking the body of material? I’ve often thought that screwing into a solid material places undue stress down natural stress lines.

I’ve been looking into getting a 3d printer in the last couple of weeks (versus ordering 3d prints off the internet), and the main thing that puts me off is the supposed difficulty of printing ABS. Getting a good recipe for printing PLA if it’s viable in the long term would be great as it would further lower the barrier to entry for the devFrame.