FlightDeck alternative for passtrough telemetry

I have no problem with anyone making money from programming, open source or otherwise, in fact I do it myself quite often (for a living). But there are different ways to go about it (esp. with open source)… taking other people’s work, ignorance of GPL/licensing, and stunts like this DMCA notice maybe aren’t the best way. IMHO the code is secondary to what C&T is offering anyway, and the whole proprietary Lua code thing is a bit ridiculous, especially given the history where it all comes from (other people’s code/ideas) and is certainly not in the spirit or OpenTX. Ironically I have been one of the few people at OTX recently who think it’s OK that others may make money off peripheral projects (or e.g. providing support, custom setups, code, whatever). But again, there are different ways to go about it.

The last statement I got from Florent/C&T on the matter in Nov. 2015: “The materials we will distribute does not contain any of your materials or any GPL licensed code.” After that all the original screenshots were taken down, the announcement post was edited, and they moved some things around on screen. They did not send me any new code to review after that. That’s all I know and at the time it didn’t seem worth pursuing further. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone came up with an OS version anyway.

@fnoop let me affirm that FlightDeck contains no GPL code and is different from any other code that is publicly available. When our interface was released we changed our layout upon request to distinguish our design from other layouts and overcome any objection. FlightDeck doesn’t look like that original version of our previous telemetry script posted above. We also reviewed line by line to make sure that every line of code was written by us and not copied from another source. We made changes back then, all we were asking is for @yaapu to do the same regarding the layout (code is fine.)

@yaapu’s original version is already significantly different, and actually brings a bunch of improvements IMO. Please, you can’t say those 2 AHI’s are the same…

3 Likes

Revisionist much? That was NOT the original objection… using proprietary and GPL code was! So you’re saying the code wasn’t changed back in Nov. 2015, just the layout?

Hi to all.

I just wanted to announce that v1.0 of my free script, the one mentioned above, is finally available in my repository.

This is the final layout:

It does cover also the hardware/cable part on the wiki area.

All comments are welcome!

4 Likes

did, now some flights with Yaapu telemetry script on my Taranis Q X7, just perfect ! the quintessence of opensource projects!

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I released a new version of my script with many new features:

• per model configuration menu

• dual battery support

• min/max values display

• vocal fence with min/max altitude and max distance alerts

• vocal timer alert every n minutes

• VFAS,CURR,Alt,VSpd,GAlt,Hdg,GSpd,Fuel,Tmp1,Tmp2 passed to OpenTX

feedback is very welcome!

3 Likes

I just replaced your previous Rev on my Taranis X9D with this version and and have to say it’s very nice. The configurator is a big plus. Thanks for the effort Alex!

You may want to consider posting this in another thread besides Rants&Raves

Incredible work yaapu !

Thanks !

Hi Dave,
thanks for the feedback!

What would be a good place for this kind of posts?

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/c/ground-control-software/other-gcs

how about this one?

@yaapu fantastic! Why not create a blog post?

1 Like

a blog post would have been my suggestion too :slight_smile:
fantastic work!

I agree a blog post would be good although your idea of using Ground Control Station is interesting as it serves some of those purposes.

I now want! Well done.

Thanks!

discussion about my telemetry script has moved to blogs:
https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/an-open-source-frsky-telemetry-script-for-the-taranis-x9d-x9e-and-qx7-radios/26443

stumbled on this thread…had to chuckle.
formats, protocols, are all free. If you spent the time to learn the LUA scripting language, spent months writing and testing the scripts…then built hardware to make it even easier to use… why wouldn’t you sell it.

If you prefer not to use C&R’s software (like myself…wrote my own) so be it. write your own. After you’ve spent 50 hrs playing with it to get it right… like it or not you’ll at least understand their point of view. direction.
Many people CAN’T write software (nor want to try) so they fill a need in the market place.
go check out https://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewcategory/13-lua-scripts lots of free scripts
ptegler

You can chuckle as long as you want but since it appears that the purpose of your reply is to polemicize with me , I really do not have time time for that at least till you do not read and understand what I wrote,

Before I install this on my freshly perfectly configured x9d+… Will it interfere with Flightdeck if I already have that installed? It would be cool to run them side by side for a while. This looks like the solution to keep my entire system open sourced.

Just select the Yaapu Lua instead for the telemetry screen. I had the Flight Deck Lua hanging around on the Sdcard for awhile but deleted it eventually.

I’m very glad I found this. I built my octocopter from the ground up to be fully open sourced. Having the telemetry script available for anyone to review the source would seem to be the most important part of any open source based system. If anyone wants to collect data from our flying machines, surely the telemetry is the most important piece of information. Looking at reports of DJI drones falling out of the sky if trying to fly near Hong Kong is just an example of that in my opinion.