First flight of a large drone: Bad Throttle Gain? Problem with a new big drone with X13 Hobbywing motors

Hi, I am trying to fly my new big drone:

Combo XRotor X13-18S Motors + Props Hobbywing (Props Diameter×Pitch 56*20") XRotor X13-13825
Battery Max Amps LiPo 62000 18S2P 66.6v Battery Pack LiPo 62000 18S2P 66.6v Battery Pack – MaxAmps Lithium Batteries
FC CubePilot Orange Plus Firmware 4.5.2
GPS Cubepilot Here4
Dronecan Digital Power Monitor Mateksys CAN-L4-BM AP_Periph DroneCAN Digital Power Monitor, CAN-L4-BM – Matek Systems
Radio Cubepilot Herelink

The problem can be seen in the video, when the drone takes flight it seems as if it were making an effort to stay in the air. The vertical thrust is not constant.
The drone’s vibration level is acceptable.

Please if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Video: https://youtu.be/iLG8gQ0vhJg

I attach a log too:

Thank you very much!

How was this configured? What documentation did you follow?

Are you 100% sure you did not miss an important configuration step?

1 Like

Hi Amilcar! Thanks for your advice.
I have followed the step by step provided by the ArduPilot Copter — Copter documentation website. I have been building multicopter drones (4, 6 and 8 motors) for several years (since 2012). But they have always been relatively small drones. It is the first time I have built such a large drone: the motors each weigh 4 kilos and the battery weighs 20 kilos.
I have followed these instructions:
Tips For New Pilots — Copter documentation

Thanks!

Well, then you have used the ArduPilot Methodic Configurator software and can post a .zip file with the edited parameters and the reason they changed.

You will be amazed by the amount of people that say they followed all the Blog post steps, when in reality they missed a lot of them.

2 Likes

OK thanks. I will do like that. Meanwhile. I’ll do an additional test by changing these parameters that I hadn’t changed because I didn’t get to this point:
PSC_POSZ_P (INITIAL VALUE: 1)
PSC_VELZ_P (INITIAL VALUE: 5) > I WILL CHANGE IT TO: 3

Best regards.