FireFLY6 VTOL with APM Plane

Hi, tridge,

Yesterday, I checked elevon motion, and it seemed OK.
When I tilted the aircraft to the right down, right elevon moved to down, and left elevon moved to up.

I’ll take video.

Here the video.

Elevon Test

thanks, that looks correct, thanks for the video.
So now we’re left with aerodynamic effects. The logs show that the ailerons (actually elevons) went hard left while the plane rolled right:

let’s look at the 6 motor outputs for transition:

can you see the point where the 4 front motors lock together? That is when the tilt reaches Q_TILT_MAX, which is 60 degrees for your setup. At that point in the transition the VTOL part of the transition stops trying to control roll, and it assumes that the control surfaces (the elevons) now have enough roll authority.
For your parameters that happens at quite low speed, as ARSPD_FBW_MIN is set to just 6 m/s. For my FireFlyY6 I have it set to 14, so it waits until the plane is moving much faster before assuming the elevons have control. There doesn’t seem to have been much wind, so I’m assuming that groundspeed == airspeed.
The other factor is the angle the motors move to while waiting for the desired airspeed to be reached. In your setup you have Q_TILT_MAX set to 60, whereas I have mine set to 45.
What this means is your plane moves the motors to 60 degrees at Q_TILT_RATE_DN degrees/second over 4 seconds (as Q_TILT_RATE_DN is 15 for your plane). Then it waits till the estimated airspeed is over 6 m/s, then it hands over roll control to the elevons and moves the motors fully fwd.
So given it isn’t reversed elevons, I think the problem must be that it didn’t have enough airspeed to give the elevons control before stopping roll control from the motors. It stalled, and rolled right. It did gain speed after that, but not enough to recover.
So I’d suggest changing Q_TILT_MAX to 45, ARSPD_FBW_MIN to 14 and ARSPD_FBW_MAX to 22 (the plane can’t really fly at the 35m/s in your settings for max airspeed).
I’d also suggest making Q_TILT_RATE_UP higher for the back transition. It is currently 20 degrees/second, which is very slow for a back transition. I’d suggest 40.
Some other things:

• set Q_VFWD_GAIN to 0 as it makes no sense to use fwd motor in hover in this plane
  • see if you can move the high current carrying wires further from the compass, as you have quite severe interference, affecting yaw estimate in hover (as the compass is close to the power wires for the rear motors)
  • set COMPASS_USE2=0 to disable the internal compass as it is even more affected by motor power, and the EKF did switch to this bad compass during flight
  • enable ARMING_CHECK=1. I suspect you disabled it due to the compass issues, but better to fix those

That is the best I can suggest. I hope the flight goes better next time!

Cheers, Tridge

Dear Tridge,

Thank you for conducting detailed analysis.
I agree with your advice.
I will test flight based on your advice.
Since I have a business trip this weekend, I will test the next Tuesday morning.

I will inform you of the result.
Thank you very much.

1 Like

Dear Tridge,

Today, I finally tried Transition.
I used the parameters that I was taught before.

Firstly, there was no problem when there was no winglet, but when hovering with a winglet attached, vibration in the roll direction took place. Therefore, when Q_A_ANG_RLL_P was changed from 4.5 to 4 and Q_A_RAT_RLL_P was changed from 0.4 to 0.25, the vibration disappeared.

Next I switched mode from Q_Hover to FBWA.
For the first Trainsion try, the speed did not rise and Transition did not end.
I am wondering if there are parameters that keep the speed down,
Q_A_THR_MIX_MAN and Q_A_THR_MIX_MAX have been changed from 0.5 to 0.6.

For the second Transition try, when throttle was fully opened after changing mode, Transition ended after 32 seconds, and it became an airplane.
Is it OK with this parameter change?

Also, when returning to Q_Hover and turning to the right at yaw, the propeller at the upper right stopped. The propeller did not stop before FBWA. Why?

For the time being, I could transit my FF 6 safely and fly as an airplane.
Thank you very much.

Second Transition try
FLASH LOG
PARAM

hii gregcovey ,where is the CG points for it ?

Hi Ravi,

The CG is marked on the bottom of the wing with a circle and a line.

Around 330 mm from nose tip?

Old thread… :slight_smile:
We got a FireFLY6 (kit from 2014) converted to the 6S-setup (TigerMotors motors and propellers) and a Pixhawk “1”. Are there any downloadable AvA 2.4 anywhere and the FireFLY6-planner… or a firmware used with Mission Planner?

Why not install the current Plane 4.3.0 stable and parameterize it according to the WIKI QuadPlanes — Plane documentation . There the Firefly is supported as Y6 - frame type.

hi, my name sandy. anybody can help me ? i got my mission planner 1.3.74 when starting with Firefly6 pro firmware 4.3.0, mission planner came out by itself. does anyone know the problem? Thank you

Hi,
I’m currently working on the Firefly6 and want ask you if anyone has the original Firefly6 mission planner
software that they could send me. I would be soo greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Tom