Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

Thank you for sharing. But I think it will be more efficient if you use higher pitch, like 15x8 or 15x10… I suggest you use e-Calc to calculate which one is more efficient… Good luck…

1 Like

I agree but actually I haven’t found anything in 15x8 or 15x10 CW and CCW yet. So if you have an idea which props to use, please let me know!

Tim,
it might be a bit late but I use LTE telemetry so with that you would have unlimited range as far as the plane has cellphone network connection! I use it since 4 months and I am very satisfied. Easy to set up, very easy to use! And the pricing is very fair in my opinion!
Check it out at https://uavmatrix.com/product/uavcast-pro/

Here’s a 15x8 fixed wing prop and it’s folding. For fixed wings and multirotors the folding props aren’t a problem and you are less likely to break/damage a prop if it catches the ground upon landing. On a 4+1 or tilt rotor VTOL they can be risky as they could get stuck in a closed position due to sitting idle in airflow perpendicular to its axis.

Regarding pitch/torque/thrust and prop efficiency: most importantly you’ll want to pair the propeller with the motor specs to get optimal performance for the application.

https://store-en.tmotor.com/goods.php?id=1143

Cheers,
Christian

Thanks Christian,
I ordered two pairs of Aeronaut CAM folding props (15x8 and 15x10) and will try them. Only problem is you can get them only in CW so both motors need to run in CW direction. We see how it goes. Hopefully not too much torque roll during takeoff…

1 Like

Interesting rabbit hole to go down. I never considered this as I skipped the twin tractor Believer/Freeman to jump up to the Fighter VTOL.

Seems like the biggest issue in your case is the torque/thrust needed to oppose stalling upon launching. The challenge lies in getting enough airspeed so the wing lift counters the torque of the motors.

A launch catapult could come in handy, though might not be necessary. If you use Arduplane FW you can set a motor delay on the auto launch mode so that you are clear of the catapult and gliding before the props start up if that is any concern.

The thrust should normally be enough as the Fighter takes off really easy when hand launching. At least with my 15x6 props. So if I would reduce the takeoff throttle, the roll effect should not be too hard but we will see.

I have a Ritewing Drak which I also hand launch and that is often quite challenging to get it properly started out of my hands (because of the torque roll) :slight_smile:

My concern with a launch catapult is the time and space consumption. Thats why I try to keep my mapping missions super simple. :wink:

1 Like

But I mean, come on, you could justify a catapult! :laughing:

All above makes sense to me, simple is the best route.

1 Like

Subo algunaa fotos del vuelo con mi flighter vtol.
Volando a 3000mts de altura y a 26km de distancia

3 Likes

¡Bravo!

How are your transitions working?

¿Cómo están funcionando tus transiciones?

Muy bien, estoy subiendo el video del vuelo. Es un poco pesado son 5gb.

En el proximo vuelo voy a ver cuando es capas de llegar en altura. Dejando un margen de bateria para el aterrizaje

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qzeYP3yf9khlmHCzZcMKT0LEyRhK1qVk/view?usp=sharing
adjunto video

1 Like

It looks good. Thanks for sharing!

Se ve bien. ¡Gracias por compartir!

Very good performance test, the pictures are very beautiful.

Tuve un problema grave con unos de los esc. Se quebró una de las patas de los capacitores en pleno vuelo en modo quad. Cómo resultado averías varias. Aparentemente es por las vibraciones ya que los capacitores están a 90 grados y estan sueltos. Ya le informe al fabricante. Lo ideal es pegarlos a la placa con alguna resina para evitar el movimiento

1 Like

Thanks for the report! It looks like those capacitors are large enough to need some hot glue to secure them in place.

1 Like

It’s April now and I finally got to test fit my Fighter 4+1 box cart in my Ford Expedition truck and also try the cargo rack. Both ways worked great so I now have several options for taking planes to the field this summer. Years ago, I had a huge 2-door trailer but those days are over. :slight_smile:

My plan is to try some more hover testing at a field to make sure the PIDs are reasonable. I’ll likely wait to test the transitions and flying until the R/C fields open because I can no longer retrieve the plane by myself if it goes down. Better to be safe!

1 Like

Nice. Flying season is upon us, finally!

Thank you for your suggestion. In subsequent products, we will improve this problem to make the capacitor stable.

1 Like