Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

So here is where the “fun” begins just as the plane was starting to fall out of the sky and spiral to the ground. The speed dropped below the Q_ASSIST_SPEED value of 12 but there was no quad motor action. Was this because it inside a “Transition Started” event?

I will be analysing this all in detail later this evening once I have finished this survey demo.

Note before I forget to discuss, I had to disable assist from forward thrust motor for wind compensation as when trying the first land, motor was powered even just above the ground. Prop would have hit the ground as running. Fortunately I has a table I ended up landing on.

@GregCovey interesting debugging line of thought. Raising more questions in my head, wanting me to get this demo over with ASAP so I can go home and look more into the Log.

HI @GregCovey,
There are telltale signs leading up to the flip, most significantly a heavy undesired left roll at -70 deg at time 1701806 : -

This may just look insignificant but it is not, this is a considerable large ark to the left, sweeping the aircraft 180 degrees. Plotting it in plot.ardupilot (55m20s)you can see the significance of this banking. At this point airspeed was 17m/s, so should not be stalling. (VTOL kicks in)
This happens 3 times during this section of the flight.
This to me would indicate a mechanical issue with one on the Alerons.

The final bank band and flip; Airspeed is 18ms
At the point then the VTOL motors kick in (1758363) the aircraft is at -117 deg: -

The dominant motors are Q10 & Q12 being Rear Left & Rear Right !!!
This is odd as this flips the aircraft tail over its nose.
I would have expected Q10 & Q11 to dominate with Q11 being the higher. Pulling the aircraft nose up and left side up back to level.
This is odd.
In any event, I believe this hard bank left at -117 deg was too late for VTOL assets to rectify the attitude.
I will look at the aileron servos and links in the morning.

1 Like

Fighter VTOL has updated the English subtitles

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 1-Partial Assembly of KIT Fuselage

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 2-Tail Section Assembly of KIT

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 3-Wing Section Assembly of KIT

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 4-Aileron and Tail Servo Installation

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 5-Power Cable Signal Cable Installation of KIT Fuselage

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 6-Installation of Motor and ESC

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 7-Preparation for Flight Cntrol Asembly

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 8-Installation of Flight Control, GPS, Airspeed ,etc.

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 9-Voltage Calibration, Shutter Check, Compass Calibration

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 10-Remote Control Setting,Rudder Surface Debugging

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 11-Encapsulation, Fixation, Paste Strengthening Film

Fighter Aerial Survey UAV Assembly Guide 12-Multi-rotor Level Flight Fixed Wing Conversion Course Test

5 Likes

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide adds English subtitles.

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 1-Mission Planner Survey Ground Station Software Installation

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 2-Sony A7R Camera Parameter Settings

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 3-Fighter VTOL Fixed-Wing Assembly

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 4-Mission Planner Survey Ground Station Route Planning

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 5-Fighter VTOL fixed-wing inspection before takeoff

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 6-Ground Station Route Flight Notes

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 7-Position Data Extraction of Flight Control

Fighter VTOL UAV Operation Guide 8-Image Data Pix4D Quick Spell Check

4 Likes

My feeling is that the left roll is merely the beginning of total loss of control by the flight controller. In the image below, you can see that the plane was just tumbling to the ground. Even with a loss of aileron, where was the quad motor assist? What version of firmware were you running?

In this image below, the QTUN Throttle Output is used on the first three angle assists but not the last one, creating a fatal fall.

1 Like

Currently, there are still 7 in stock at the Banggood USA warehouse and the price has dropped to $568 plus $3 shipping. Promotion Sale From Jun 27 to Jul 6.

1 Like

Hi @GregCovey, should we move this onto another thread as it is not an issue with the Fighter and is distracting from the purpose of this thread?

What version of firmware were you running?

V4.0.9

merely the beginning of total loss of control by the flight controller

It would appear this way, I have tested the aileron servos and links and can not find an issue with them.

@GregCovey moved to here

1 Like

Hi @makeflyeasy team and Mr @Greg Covey
I just build the fighter vtol 4+1 with PNP with Orange cube + kore board.
After fly test 2 times the 1 motor can not running so i find 1 esc have issue.
May give me the advance the ESC.1 maiden

1 Like

@LuuHB Thank you for your feedback, I have seen the picture, it is a problem with the quality of ESC products. We will give you a free replacement, and we apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. You can send me the email of the contact information of the receipt, and our customer service will deal with it as soon as possible. my mail address is makeflyeasy@qq.com

2 Likes

Thanks your support.

Banggood USA warehouse has a nice sale on the Fighter VTOL until July 11th. $500 plus $3 shipping!

Hi Greg,
thanks for the tip. Also on special offer at Banggoods European Union Warehouse ( € 423 including tax and shipping). I could not resist :smile: should be here within a week.

3 Likes

Very nice, Rolf, welcome aboard! :grinning:

Banggood only shows you your own country and China. I didn’t even realize that they had stock in the EU warehouse. Good deal!

Do you have a link to that?

Thanks

Sure.

MFE Fighter 2430mm Wingspan Compound Wing EPO VTOL

Hi Rolf, nothing from France on my side. You have a link to share ?

Hi Pascal,

There are no more in stock in CZ (E.U.). The page then links to the US page, but from there they do not ship to E.U. countries.

My MFE Fighter VTOL can provide multiple functions using the GoPro Hero 7 tilt-gimbal from Search & Rescue to Agricultural mapping. The large battery capability combined with the ability to hover or fly allows the Fighter VTOL to cover large areas. The 4+1 quadcopter design offers stabile control in wind using the latest Ardupilot firmware and features.

6 Likes

I’ve missed a lot of action in here while attending to other job duties!

I am currently buried in wiring harnesses but have mostly everything complete and hoping for a hover test flight tomorrow, weather permitting.

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like