FC Works OK with PX4 not Arducopter

My PX 4 FC failed so I decided to switch over to Arducopter. I swapped out the one on my hex, reloaded the firmware for a quadcopter and recalibrated everything. Now motor 1 doesn’t work and the others are really rough. This FC worked with Arducopter just fine on the hex copter but not with the Quad. Works just fine with PX 4 though. Just to be sure, I reloaded both operating systems twice. I’d really like to switch to Arducopter. Any suggestions?

You mean you reloaded Arducopter and then set the frame_class to quad? What FC?

Yes. And then ran a motor test and they all worked except the one labeled Motor 1. I cleared everything and loaded PX4 and all works as it should. I tried this twice with the same result and am at a loss as to why everything works fine with the Hex and not the Quad. The only thing I can think of is that one has individual ESC’s and the Quad gas a 4 in 1 Lumenier.

I’m using an old 2.4.8 FC because it’s cheaper and readily available but if you have a suggestion for a smaller profile FC for a 500mm class vehicle, please let me know. I’d still like to switch over to an Ardupilot system.

Whether they are individual or 4-in-1 makes no difference. A 4-in-1 is 4 ESC’s packaged on one board essentially. Post the parameter file for your Arducopter Quad configuration.
There are many choices in small, or very small, profile FC’s by Matek and Holybro.