Expo in Manual mode

In manual mode, is it ok to use dual rates and exponential on the radio for aileron and elevator? Or do we have to use MAN_EXPO_ROLL and MAN_EXPO_PITCH?

I can’t think of a reason why it would cause problems to use expo on the hand-held radio controller. Perhaps the parameters you mention are intended for people using basic radios where exponential can’t be configured on there?

There isn’t a fundamental problem of using dual rates or expo in manual mode. The issue will be is if the dual rates are still in effect when you’re in modes like FBWA. In the past I’ve set up planes/radio so that rates and expo were only active when the switch for manual mode was on. As soon as I went back to any other mode the rates and expo were off.

Just remember that dual rates in anything but manual can have a real serious impact on your controlability of the plane so be really careful and double check that when you’re in other modes that you can still get 100% of your stick inputs.

And don’t use radio trim.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I spent a good 2 hours looking into disabling my expo switches in OpenTX, and now have them disabled in stabilized modes now.