Enabling Tailsitter on a Canard Wing

@Allister @tridge I have designed a twin vector thrust canard plane and planning to Q_TAILSIT_ENABLE = 2. See the video attached. Plane flies both in manual and FBWA mode with no issue (Ignore sarcasm in the beginning).

Since there is no frame configuration matching my design, I think Q_FRAME_CLASS =10 would be ok??

Is airspeed sensor must have for tailsitter? At the moment, I don’t have airspeed sensor on the plane but I can add one on.

Sorry, I have no experience in this area so I’m not much help.

@iampete could you please reply to my original post. Although i am calling it tailsitter but i would be quit happy to perform STOL landings.

I think you technically have a Thrust Vectored Belly Sitter.

Do you have independent control of the tilt of each motor, or do they tilt together? I think ArduPlane assumes you have independent control.

I have not done this, but based on the docs at Tailsitter Planes — Plane documentation I think you would set Q_FRAME_CLASS to 10, and Q_TAILSIT_ENABLE to 1. Then set Q_TAILSIT_MOTMX to 0.

Then set SERVOX_FUNCTION to 75 and 76 (TiltMotorFrontLeft and TiltMotorFrontRight) for the outputs controlling the canard/motor tilt servos, and set SERVOX_FUNCTION to 73 and 74 (ThrottleLeft and ThrottleRight) for the outputs controlling the motor ESCs.

It is a belly sitter but does not have independent vector thrust control. Both motors are coupled with single servo. If I can simply achieve STOL landing that would be remarkable, and only person @iampete could answer this question. I watched his presentation on youtube and there are several other parameters that could accomplish that (I think :slight_smile: ).

In that case I think you’d set SERVOX_FUNCTION to 41 for the tilt servo, and set SERVOX_FUNCTION to 73 and 74 (ThrottleLeft and ThrottleRight) for the outputs controlling the motor ESCs.