Enable Wind Estimation

Hi

I am trying to enable the wind estimation feature through Mission Planner, I went through the page Windspeed Estimation and Baro Compensation — Copter documentation, in the section " Viewing Windspeed and Direction in Real-Time" it says “once enabled”, how to enable this?

drone firmware version : Arducoptor V4.3.1
Mission planner : 1.3.79 build 1.3.8378.24878

I suppose with the BARO1_WCF_ENABLE parameter.

Thank you for the reply!
I checked BARO1_WCF_ENABLE is 1, but I still don’t see windspeed and directions in MP Quick.
I also checked EK3_DRAG_BCOEF X, Y MCOEF all set with values.
I am wondering if there is something else I need to set up to enable the wind estimation?

I admit I have not tried this feature. There is a video abut it from Mr. Riseborough:
Wind estimation

Thank you for providing the video, I also went through this when reading that webpage.
I set up all coefficients mentioned on the page but seems no data change or transmission in both wind direction and wind speed…

Are you using ArduCopter 4.3.2-rc1 ? You should.

Hi
Thank you for responding!
Is it possible to enable this in FM version 4.2?

1 Like

I updated a CUBE Black to the 4.3.2-rc1 version, and also put
BARO1_WCF_ENABLE as 1
EK3_DRAG_BCOEF X, Y MCOEF with some values.
EK3_ENABLE = 1
EK2_ENAVLE = 0
AHRS_EKF_TYPE = 3
I still don’t see any changes in MP Quick wind direction and wind velocity, I am wondering if this feature only transmits data when the drone is flying?

Yes, only when flying.

1 Like

Solved my issue, thank you very much!

I am very interested in feedback please - how much difference did the wind estimation make?

Did the baro compensation improve altitude performance - for example many people report a drop in altitude as the copter picks up speed, and a recovery of altitude as it comes to a halt.

1 Like

I will update the feedback in the following weeks once I done more flight tests, will update here

1 Like

I have been experimenting with the baro comp for fast flying, so far the height errors seem small so it is difficult to judge whether this feature is useful or not. I added Z-axis comp in 4.4

1 Like

The wind estimation (no bara compensation) can be enabled:
EK3_DRAG_BCOEF X, Y = values you computed
BARO1_WCF_ENABLE as 1
EK3_ENABLE = 1
EK2_ENAVLE = 0
AHRS_EKF_TYPE = 3
Also, this feature even worked on Arducoptor FW 4.2.3, and also higher version 4.3, and 4.4(dev).
The wind estimation real-time results are available in QUICK, also in MAVlink inspector telemetry, WIND section is there.
Didn’t use baro compensation in my tests.