EMI shielding Tips for High Mag Field Compass Error

Hello,

My quad design is very compact, such that the Here GPS is placed 2-3cms above the li ion battery and so is Pixhawk. Hence there is high mag field error that appears.
I tried compass mot calibration, it did help, but when I use a different Li-Ion pack the error re appears. I have tried covering the GPS with copper tape underneath but it did not make much difference. All power cables and servo cables are twisted and as short as possible. Are there any other suggestions that could help reduce the mag field interference?

Thanks

Mumetal is better than copper.

But the best solution is a GPS mast

Mumetal seems to do the job pretty well. But now I get “Error:Compass Variance” and the compass deviates 90 degrees from the drone heading after I change the batteries, so every time I need to perform compass calibration to set it right. Will eliminating all wires and replacing them with a PCB for power and signal help?

Hi there,

Is your problem rectified, we are also facing a similar issue as you have, can you help us to resolve this interference problem

You either need to eliminate the EMF at the source (shielding) or increase the distance between your power systems and the compass.