EKF2 Yaw Inconsistent

We are continuing to have this issue. Is this on the radar? Anything we can do to help?

Crashed twice with the same error at Ver40.3.
Is it better not to fly?

This yaw inconsistent message wouldn’t cause a crash. It’s just a pre-arm message. And it’s only reporting something that has always been there. All of us have problems w/ our copters that we didn’t realize before the message existed. Maybe whatever triggers this warning is too sensitive, though. That’s something we could discuss. But, it’s not causing crashes!

Someone should put up a link to a recent .bin log with this happening, probably using LOG_DISARMED 1
Maybe mention the flight controller and GPS models.

Maybe it’s something like ground mag anomaly… Magnetometer readings are OK while flying. Land, and it’s slightly off, and triggers the error.
Actually, mine is the DCM yaw inconsistent message, and not the EKF one…

Work is busy at the moment, but I should be able to get a log sometime in the next few days if it would help.

I might not be able to diagnose anything for this but maybe someone can if there’s logs to look at.

Just guessing, but it could even be caused by poor GPS fix - we often “see” our craft wandering all over the field in Mission Planner when first powered on, while the GPS signal gets sorted out. This makes me think EKF could be seeing movement that doesn’t align with the compass/yaw and throwing these warnings.
It’s always going to be a challenge with the GPS receiver so close to the ground, throw in a couple of buildings and some trees…

Can we disable the safety check if this error is inconsequent to flight performance? Really annoying, sometimes have to restart the drone multiple times to be able to arm.

I also got this issue since the 4.0.0
It feels like that this warning comes after a while of standing still before takeoff.
After one time flying, landing, it can stay at the ground for a long time without this warning.

Change these parameters

Set AHRS_EKF_TYPE to 3 to use the EKF3 instead of EKF2 or EKF1.
Set EK3_IMU_MASK to 1(default) to use the first IMU in EKF3.
Set EK2_ENABLE to 0 to disable the EKF2 because we enable EKF3.

I did the above and the problem was solved.

Is the EKF3 already tested and ready/safe for flight?

Does that make sense?

I have tested it. You can try it.

Yes I’m actually using this so it does.

@rmackay9 can you confirm that switching to EKF3 is a safe move to fix this issue? It seems like a pretty drastic change.

i would like to know answer to that also, first time i hear of it suggested

Same issue for me with Pixhawk1-1M and V4.03. Curious the the value is drifting …22°, 30°,…64° eg.
Regards
Gregor

I don’t think so because what you suggest is a work around and not a solving of the Problem. But if it’s working for you, please, no Problem, and thanks for telling its maybe a way for a while

Same Issue here!
Sometimes i can arm and could fly, sometimes not. I reconize 3/6 Motors spinning faster than others i liftoff few centimeters and it starts turning on YAW. Not sure but i think it’s not possible to fly…!

AndreasH you have wrong rotate direction of all motors (change cw to ccw and ccw to cw)

Pixhwak v1 with 4.03 and seeing this message consistently, Any safe fix out there ?