E-flite Convergence Using Matek F405 Wing

Hi Patrick,

Thanks! I am having fun and hope others will have the same experience with a little help.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Greg,

I agree with him! I want to build one now! I am looking for a vehicle like the convergence that I can convert… Or I may build the mini sky hunter! Not sure yet!

Do you happen to know flight times with your rig?

• Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Many people report a 6 minute flight using 3s 30C 2200mAh LiPo packs. Another has reported 8 minutes using a 3s 30C 2800mAh pack. Most people fly the stock Convergence leaving plenty left in the pack because it will automatically revert to copter mode and land when the pack gets low. The stock E-flite controller doesn’t have a GPS or Return To Home feature like in APM.

Cheers!

1 Like

My first hover test with the Matek Convergence was successful! In the winter months, I tend to risk more than I would normally do in the summer months so initial test flying on snow and ice in your backyard is not recommended. :slight_smile:

I attached my initial .param file since the hover setup was successful. Obviously, I need to do more testing but today was a sunny Sunday so I pushed my luck. I did, however, retrieve more good tips from @tridge that helped with the initial setup.

This is my Matek servo setup for the .param file below

S1 - Right Motor ESC
S2 - Left Motor ESC
S3 - Left Elevon
S4 - Right Elevon
S5 - Left Motor Tilt
S6 - Right Motor Tilt
S7 - Rear Motor ESC

MatekConvergence1.param (19.2 KB)

2 Likes

Well I’ll be ordering a convergence and all the conversion parts today :slight_smile: congrats on getting this going! Did you have to do much tuning?

Ryan

No, not yet. My initial PIDs came from Randy Mackay’s Default file below. The initial conversions when the tilt rotor feature was first implemented used full size Pixhawks or smaller PixFalcons.

E-flight converge default file

I have that project in the works also…same setup…busy with cellular telemetry right now, so hope to co-opt your params when you have finished the transition tuning…

btw, I am from Austin, how do you grow white grass like that?

Greg, how does the tilt mechanism function in the Convergence? Is it similar to Nimbus vtol?

LOL! I wish I was in Austin right now. :cold_face:

The Nimbus uses a direct robot servo arm and the Convergence uses linkage between the servo and motor mount swivel. It has a little slop but doesn’t seem to be too bad. Some folks have replaced the stock linkage with Dubro ball links and such but I haven’t seen the need to tinker yet.

long%20

Contratulations @GregCovey for this job! Simply amazing… I’ve one problem: I’ve been trying to use Frsky Passthrough telemetry with Matek 405wing and a Frsky R9 with no success at all. I’m using the same TTL converter and it’s working fine in a Pixhawk. I’ve tried all UARTS and nothing. How have you been able to do it?
The target is using it with Yaapu LUA in my Horus.
Thanks!

Hi Rafael,

Thanks! My Convergence conversion uses a FrSky X4R, not the R9M.

I recently started looking at my R9M and R9MM combo that I got during the promotion at the end of 2018. I was able to update both modules using the FrSky STK tool without issue. I used the newest firmware (181228) from 12/30/2018. This needs to be upgraded on both ends to the same release. Note that upgrading the R9MM required a short servo extension with a few pins swapped for easy plug-in.

So far, I can bind the receiver, which is much like any other FrSky receiver. I have tested the SBUS outputs using a FrSky SBUS Decoder and also the normal FrSky telemetry on my Taranis X9D+. Currently, I don’t have a spare Pixhawk/PX4 flight controller to test the PassThrough telemetry and I haven’t decided which project to use the R9M on. It may go into my ZOHD nano Talon or Wing Z-84 since these new applications support my new Titan 4s 3500mAh Li-Ion pack.

All this doesn’t really help your issue so perhaps I can ask a few questions. What R9 receiver are you using? Have you updated to the latest firmware and re-bound the receiver? Which port are you using on the Matek F405 Wing for pass-through telemetry?

Cheers!

Ok, I haven’t tried the “normal” Frsky telemetry… (Does this normal telemetry work in your setup?)
I’m also using latest version of R9 Flex firmware (181228 - EU version) with a R9M module on a Horus X10S (Opentx 2.2.3) and a R9 receiver (also tried with an R9Slim+). I’ve used UARTS 1,3,4,5, and 6 with no luck.
Same cable is working good in other Pixhawk1 setup.

I’ll appreciate if you post any progress on this matter!
Thanks a lot!

Yes, the Yaapu telemetry works on my X4R with the Matek in the Convergence. I use the invertor cable as shown above.

You may want to look at the Radio forum on RC Groups where all the FrSky threads are posted. There may be an issue with telemetry on the flex release.

Cheers!

This is a really great thread. My wife gave me a convergence for Christmas and I’m pretty much done with the stock flight controller. It is not terrible, but there is so much that this thing could do that it does not. I just received my Matek flight controller the other day. And I am busy preparing to follow in your footsteps.

I use a FlySky radio and want to figure out how to get APM to receive iBus telemetry, but that’s really just a nice-to-have.

I will be posting my progress on my YouTube channel if you guys are interested. http://www.youtube.com/c/rhouse21rcphysics

Hi Rod,

Feel free to post here as well. My project is waiting for winter to end before I get to try some transitions and autonomous flight stuff. This time of year is a tough waiting game for us in the NorthEast US.

I don’t know anything about iBus telemetry…

I’m in the DC Metro area, so I’ve been able to sneak in a few flights in the decent spells between blizzards and polar vortexes. This platform has so much potential, but I’m discovering E-Flite under-engineered some things. I’m probably also going to 3D print a new payload pod to give me the option of adding some more gear, just because. :wink:

I’ve done a few mods to the airframe already. Here are some links to some of my Convergence videos. I’m hinting about my FC mod plans, but haven’t spilled the beans on my channel yet. I’m also upgrading the stock ESCs to Castle DMR 30/40 units, adding a Caddx Turtle v2 for FPV & HD Video, TM radios, adding a 2nd DVR for OSD video recording and rewiring the aircraft to have beefier electrical connections to the ESCs. It’s gonna be fun!

Enjoy,

Rx & expanded battery bay mod: https://youtu.be/O1f2zkJ5GhY
Airframe Laminating: https://youtu.be/K5AGmxzyPTo
Laminating Time Lapse:https://youtu.be/WMbqOSPs0Qo
Maiden Flights, & Crashes: https://youtu.be/SZpKBZFvZ0s
Lost Prop, 100ft Free Fall: https://youtu.be/6QmlHoOTHc0

Zen…: https://youtu.be/Qx3SvJLUwTQ

1 Like

Hello

I am using f405-wing (around 15 flights) with arduplane 3.9.5 (plane is a glider with flaps)
My f405 firmware is from dec 2018, Do I need to install a newer one ?

My question looks very basic

Thanks

Hi,

You should be fine using Plane v3.9.5.

Cheers!

Greg, thawed out yet?looking forward to your experiences in transition and forward flight…(final params)
been flying mine stock with FPV and happy that I get decent flight times >8min (I use hover only for takeoff and landing…very short periods)…am about to convert to MatekF405Wing and Arduplane