Dual-motor tailsitters

Is Matek F765 valid for tailsitter or does it have any inconvenient?

I think nobody has experience with Matek F765 but as long as it is valid for quadplane it should be OK for tailsitter

Could someone here recommend a good airframe to get started with? Iā€™d like to start working on mission operations and implementation of different sensors on to this type of frame with planetary sciences research in mind. I see the Caipirinha seems to be a somewhat standard design in testing; however, it looks like the Caipirinha 2 does not match the original in terms of layout, and Iā€™m not sure it will work. Iā€™ve also noticed some talk about a Strix or Flite Test Goblin, or a Flite Test Versa wing as other possibilities. I really appreciated some of the work I have seen by @tilt especially and others using a plank type design. Much appreciated.

Hi @JD_L, I think the answer depends a lot in whether you choose to do vectored thrust. Non-vectored requires very specific aerodynamics, losawing has lots of good explanations in this thread. His batwing design is the best non-vectored Iā€™ve seen, Iā€™m building a flat plank wing. I havenā€™t found any suitable off-the-shelf airframes for this. With vectored thrust it is much less critical, you can see various off-the-shelf airframes flying well in this thread.

Thanks @samsalway Iā€™m interested in both approaches, and while I think vectored thrust is interesting, I suspect it may be the too complicated for field applications. I do wonder though if the greater flexibility with design means an airframe with greater endurance could be had. Agreed that the batwing design by @losawing looks like a great design. Iā€™d be very interested to see what youā€™re working on. The plank type wings do seem to be promising, have been looking for various plans. Do you know a good source for designs I might be missing? Thanks!

This was it a while ago, 1200mm wingspan 300mm chord, PW75 airfoil. It hasnā€™t flown yet, the cg came out way off so Iā€™ll be refitting the fuselage. Itā€™s my first time doing hot wire foam cutting but it all went pretty well (I think). I went with non-vectored dual motor for the weight savings, otherwise a copter tailsitter looks like it might be easier to get going.

This thread has the best information Iā€™ve found regarding tailsitter design. YouTube taught me about the hot wire cutting. General plain building techniques I learnt from a friend and googling specific problems usually leads to rcgroups.com.

3 Likes

Oh thatā€™s pretty great looking! So what are you using for wing construction, foam board? And how about motor mounts? Thanks again for the advice, very interesting project.

Yeah itā€™s foam board (edit: actually ā€œfoam boardā€ usually refers to something else, this is a 30mm think foam board that is cut with hot wire, sometimes called ā€œfoam coreā€), Knauf XPS (can get it from Bunnings in Australia, but seems to be popular worldwide). Itā€™s skinned with paper and PVA glue, itā€™s plenty stiff but itā€™s not tough like the wood skins losawing does. The motor mounts are three ply of 5mm balsa that I made and 3D printed ABS. (PVA will bond the foam with wood as good as anything else, but other glues dry faster.) The new motor mounts are going to be a bit shorter so I might be able to print the whole thing.

Hi Iorbas,

you mean to align with the motors axis? or
with the CG vertically placed the model?, which could be on one side or the other of the chord depending on the distribution of the electronics in the fuselage

I think it should be like this last but maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Regards from Bilbao

For a non vectored Tailsitter both are verry important, else the elevons are deflected already in stable hovering. And then have not enoughe space to control the wing while compensating wind or attitude.
It ends like this:

I was asking this because I observe any orange non-vectorized commercial tailsitter in which the axis motor is not aligned with the chord.

I think the cord is not so important. Axis and CG should be aligned.

yes, I think so. We are in the construction phase and these details are important. I hope to post experiences shortly. Thanks for sharing yours.

Do you know this:

Yes, I think we all know Wingtra

Hey pals, is there any way to disable vectored thrust (tilting) yaw control in qhover mode? Iā€™d like to use the elevons for that instead. :slight_smile:

you can disable tilting for yaw and pitch but not just yaw, Q_TAILSIT_VHGAIN

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m thinking of writing a script to control the tilt axis - would that be a better approach?

should work fine, you can read in the tilt left and right outputs, take the average to remove yaw and write to a scripting output. Alternatively we could also output tilt with no yaw, should not be too complicated to add to the main code.

1 Like

Good afternoon gentlemen!
Iā€™m making a tailsiter model. In order to make flying training on it cheap when falling, I did it just on a piece of foam. And I had a big problem. In the MANUAL mode I calibrate the controller, I do trim of steering surfaces.
But just switch to Qstabileze mode, the steering surfaces begin to shake (even when the model is on the table).
And the worst thing is that when I do ARMING the motors, controller send on the servos receive a signal (PWM begin grow) and they deviate from the zero position and it makes it impossible to take off vertically. I will be grateful for your help. I use PIXHAWK