Dual-motor tailsitters

Hey pals, is there any way to disable vectored thrust (tilting) yaw control in qhover mode? I’d like to use the elevons for that instead. :slight_smile:

you can disable tilting for yaw and pitch but not just yaw, Q_TAILSIT_VHGAIN

1 Like

Thanks! I’m thinking of writing a script to control the tilt axis - would that be a better approach?

should work fine, you can read in the tilt left and right outputs, take the average to remove yaw and write to a scripting output. Alternatively we could also output tilt with no yaw, should not be too complicated to add to the main code.

1 Like

Good afternoon gentlemen!
I’m making a tailsiter model. In order to make flying training on it cheap when falling, I did it just on a piece of foam. And I had a big problem. In the MANUAL mode I calibrate the controller, I do trim of steering surfaces.
But just switch to Qstabileze mode, the steering surfaces begin to shake (even when the model is on the table).
And the worst thing is that when I do ARMING the motors, controller send on the servos receive a signal (PWM begin grow) and they deviate from the zero position and it makes it impossible to take off vertically. I will be grateful for your help. I use PIXHAWK

Here’s the first flight of this “thing”. The lack of individual thrust vectoring is making it really scary to fly but really fun! I set the axis as LeftTiltMotor and went for a flight just to see how it would behave.

I’m going to get into writing the script for this thing - just need to plan a bit and try to sqeeze in the time.

Edit: Ideally I’d have the motors work on aligning the body orthogonal to the earth and then do yaw control with the elevons. I tried to set it up but I found it difficult.

Hello i was wondering if someone can help. I am building a vtol tail-sitter. It is about 2kg and i have total lift capability of about 4.4. I can not get the airframe flying. Everytime i launch in any mode it just takesoff to about 50cm the pitches on to its belly and crashes. I have tried everything. When it is on the ground the control surfaces are raised as if for a fixedwing it would be pulling the nose up. i am not sure if i have everything set up right.

Were guna need logs and ideally a vid

I can’t see Q_TAILSIT_GSCMSK & Q_TAILSIT_GSCMIN parameters. I have changed Q_FRAME_CLASS from 10 to 7, thinking that it is one parameter only for copter tailsitters and not for Dual-motor taisitter but I still don’t see it. Also not activating QACRO mode

I need to do a simulation of a dual motor tailsitter. Can anyone suggest a 3d simulator which has a tailsitter model?
thanks in advanced

Realflight 8/9. You need to import model from following link and run SITL on mission planner.

Thank you very much I’ll check on that

Ok, we have to wait for arduplane 4.1

You could flash master if you want to try the tailsitter gain scaling options. Let me know which FC you are using if you can’t build it yourself.

Thanks Mark, I will use Matek F765 for my Dual Motor Tailsitter. I have the doubt if this gain scaling options is only recommended for ACRO mode, I will never fly in ACRO.

Q_TAILSIT_GSCMSK applies to all tailsitter VTOL modes, but if you keep Q_ANGLE_MAX at the default of 3000 (30 degrees) or less, then you probably won’t need to use the gain scaling options.

OK I understand. I will not fly on ACRO but Q_ANGLE_MAX> 30º is also necessary on a non-ACRO flight

If you want to try master you can download the .apj file for any board from:
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/latest/

Thanks Mark, I will try

Hi, I’m quite new to ArduPlane, but I’m building a thurst vectored tailsitter (only 2 motor propeller and 2 servo controlling the tilt of the motor) for a PhD project.
I’ve got an Omnibus F4 with IMU and baro.
I’ve been configuring the params for this to work, but I might not have all the params correct yet.
This is all i ve for now :
is Q_TAILSIT_MOTMX 31 ok? i’m not sure if this makes it into another configuration?
I’ve done the acc calib in plane mode, put it nose up, arming in QSTABILIZE, but then when i look at the drone response when pitching it, the tilt are moving very very late, and the thrust is not responding to the rc throttle command. (radio mapping is ok). I tested in manual and i can see the motor tilting and thrust increase or decrease, but it doesn’t respond in QSTABILIZE or QHOVER. Any ideas?

I don’t have a GPS for the drone yet (and i’d rather not have it if possible), is it mandatory for the plane mode (FBWA for example) ? Can i disable it?