Topic:DroneKit-Python Rescue Project
Proposal type: Software
The purpose of this project is to put a relatively small amount of effort to update and release DroneKit to ensure that it remains useful for developers to use on their companion computer interfacing with ArduPilot.
- fix documentation links to DroneKit from ardupilot.org (volunteer)
- review important looking issues and PRs and close or merge them
- update some features to catch-up with ArduPilot’s capabilities:
- ensure MISSION_ITEM_INT, COMMAND_LONG_INT are used when possible
- add terrain alt support to go-to command
- verify that position, velocity, attitude control works with Copter, Rover, Plane in Guided mode
- consume EKF status report’s GPS glitch field
- support multiple rangefinders including different directions
- multiple vehicle support?
- do a release after updates including producing a blog on ardupilot.org
How does this fit in with other competitors:
- pymavlink: a lower level tool much more tightly tied to the mavlink protocol. Dronekit is built on top of pymavlink.
- Lua scripting: onboard meaning it has limited access to CPU resources and external sensors. Companion computers with dronekit are for situations where CPU and access to external sensors (i.e. cameras) are required.
- DroneAPI/MAVSDK: another competitor which another team is putting effort into. Integrating would be a much larger longer term effort. These projects have been moving in fits and starts.
Planned amount $8K (USD):
Estimated time for completion: 2 months