Hi, I am new here and just learned about ArduPilot last night while researching “Follow Me” multicopters. I am a software engineer, but have never done any coding for multicopters. I have done some reading here, but have not been able to fully understand ArduPilot’s “Follow Me” capabilities.
Below describes what I would like to do, maybe someone can comment and tell if it’s possible with ArduPilot.
I am a mountain biker. I would like to have a multicopter with a GoPro follow me on the trails recording my rides. The idea is to make it seem like another biker is behind me with a chest mounted camera.
The functionality I desire is minimal (notice I did not say simple ) …
- Follows me from behind.
- Min flight height from the ground: 2ft.
- Max flight height from the ground: 5ft to 6ft (basically just above my head).
- Min distance behind me: 5ft.
- Max distance behind me: 15ft.
- Max left or right drift from center: 2ft. (keep it within the trail width).
- GPS coordinates from a mobile device (iOS hopefully) guides the multicopter as it follows.
The reasoning behind the min and max high is, if I keep it within that range, I don’t have to worry about avoidance detection. My head is not riding into tree branches, so the multicopter should be safe.
A “love to have” feature would be the ability to send the multicopter to a point 500 to 1,000 ft ahead of me down the trail to capture jumps or hard turns, then have it start following me again as I pass the multicopter.
I have a good friend that builds multicopters who can get me started with my own build. If you think this is possible, I’ll start to really dig into learning how to implement ArduPilot on a DIY multicopter.
Something like this (I photoshopped that drone in) …