Copter Tailsitters

Do you have a spare switch on the TX to trigger a script in the autopilot?

Yes, one 3 pos switch and 2 on/off button.
I read about scripts an know where to write it in the memory card. But I’m not familiar enoughe with the LUA Language in order not to kill the FC.

The best bit about LUA is that it’s not possible to kill the flight controller! Its within its own sandbox. You can even use the REPL interface to try stuff out as you go.

I meant when using the Params or In/Outputs which are used in the FC Function too, the correct control is disturbed. Here an example for a possible LUA application which would be verry useful for many user because missing in ArduPilot Firmware.
We can define 6 different Modes via one Channel. But how can they built in a TX?
Not so easy with the Mixers or Curves where they exist.
Here a proposition via 2 channels, one 3 pos switch (A) and one 2 pos switch (B)
Mode 1: Switch A pos 1 AND Switch B pos 1
Mode 2: Switch A pos 2 AND Switch B pos 1
Mode 3: Switch A pos 3 AND Switch B pos 1
Mode 4: Switch A pos 1 AND Switch B pos 2
Mode 5: Switch A pos 2 AND Switch B pos 2
Mode 6: Switch A pos 3 AND Switch B pos 2

But if this craches then the Wing also. :roll_eyes:

Yes, it’s probably not a good idea to use a script for anything that is flight critical.
And my idea of using a script to waggle control surfaces doesn’t work, because scripts can only control channels configured for scripting outputs.

You can cheat and use the script to assign the outputs to scripting first, waggle and then put them back. Of course messing with params via scripting gives almost endless room for interesting crashes…

1 Like

I guess you’d have to do it that way anyhow, since otherwise you’d be fighting with the set_servos task. But I see the word “wiggle” appears in the code! Time to add a waggle function to wiggle servos…

Years ago I used a Arduino Mini to add missing functions like Copter lost sound, varying blinking LED’s and control the Gimbal. Copter lost sound and pass through didn’t exist in ArduCopter.
The Arduino board was simply connected to the S-Bus Out of the RX and the signal decoded internally.
The lost copter signal was built by analizing the Channel Signals without activ command as now in the FC.
Would now be an application for LUA at least the LED’s.
Blinken für Kopter 1.pdf (98.6 KB)

Test 9, with 45 gr more Ballast with the hope of even better results in Yaw stability in QHOVER.
Two recognitions:
This wing setup will not work as a copter Tailsitter.
The good results of the SITL with RF8 are verry different to the reality.
Test 9, with 172 gr Ballast

Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FloTj-NXlZ6I4eKLxsTwLMruuR1tNATo
Param: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SmG_NC3dVe76psrJsw97Kh82epK-Kar0

Therefore will go back to this Wing, another level of Stability.

I’ll spend some time in RealFlight to see if I can reproduce these stability problems. It would be nice to understand whether this is a limitation in the physics accuracy or a difference in our model.

It might have something to do with the specific airfoil and propwash effects which are unique to the Caipirinha.
I believe your latest version of the Caipi copter tailsitter is https://github.com/ArduPilot/SITL_Models/tree/master/RealFlight/markw/Tailsitters/CopterTailsitters/Caipirinha_quad
Are the motor and propeller locations, diameter and pitch correct for this last flight test?

Yes I understand for your development it’s important to know if you can trust SITL. I was aware, that there is a difference between Simulation and the Reality. But was also surprised how great this is.
Perfect behavior in SITL and perfect chaos in Reality.
I’ve checked the physics again but can’t finde where to set the weight. (950 gr without Ballast, Test 8 +125 gr, Test 9 + 172 gr)
The CG in RF8 is a ~170 mm, in Reality 140 mm as used with vectored Tailsitter.
The axis of the upper motor is 10 mm higher to get the the center of upper/lower mot at the vertical CG (Plane mode)
The elevons correspond with RF8 they are deeper (55 mmm) than orignal (40 mm)
Thats all I found. I hope you catch the phantom.

Thanks for checking. I think I can modify the weights of individual components and there is probably a ballast component I can add too.

It does seem less stable in qhover if I move the CG forward by 30mm
I can’t recall if you tried moving the CG back on the real model?

May be it’s the CG for Hover Mode. But I’m afraid this will not work in Plane Mode.
After a long time fighting with this Copter Tailsitter I will stop this project and go back to my Dual vectored Tailsitter to regain trust on VTOL Systems.
As retired we have a lot of time, but not for a long time. :roll_eyes:
Thanks for assisting my project.

Agreed, a lot of time, but probably not for long enough :frowning:
Best to focus effort where it’s most likely to succeed.
Maybe I’ll try putting wings on this: Design and build of a coaxial drone :slight_smile:

Wow! That’s exactly what I was thinking to ask.
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Im surprised you agree.

Yes, a new challenge, will follow you, thanks for the link.

Yes will post here, already started with an issue. It seems I attract issues. :roll_eyes:

Funny thing:

And have you seen, forward hover is produced by tilting the mots. Not by tilting the whole wing as a copter.
Also perfect hovering as 2 Mot Tailsitter.

1 Like

Transition from tailsitter to normal VTOL looks crazy!

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that video yet, and I didn’t know the X450 had a tailsitter mode. Tridge tried that with his Convergence, but ran into trouble with the tilt servo linkages.
A tilt-tri with that tailsitter mode and a good thrust-to-weight ratio could climb much more quickly and efficiently than without it, although he doesn’t demonstrate it in this video.

1 Like