Copter Tailsitters

Mark wrote I should load for SITL Master. I could go back if it does not work. But then it should be a case to analize. I did not play with SITL since then, but now may be it is a case for @kd0aij .

I’ve looked to the binnaries. Which version do I need? (Arduplane, Arduplane.apj oder Arduplane.bin)
from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C64h1USe_AAvwaoHhVMTNnDA_r24dUgm

You can not choose a bad extension, mission planner only recognize .apj

Downloaded, installed…same issue. Q_FRAME_TYPE = 16 is needed for Plus Frame only.
In your Hacker Wing you used = 0. What did you use in your blue Rocket?
Here the post of @kd0aij
Q_FRAME_TYPE=16 in master is equivalent to the frame_type=0 option which @losawing was using in my old PR branch. It disables torque-based yaw control, which causes instability in the plus-frame quadcopter tailsitter.

I just retested the caipirinhaTailsitter with latest master in SITL/RF8 using q_frame_type=16
It still flies properly and I updated the parameters for it in the SITL_models repo.

The fact that your motors run with frame_type=0 and not with 16 is puzzling; there was a recent PR from @iampete which might have affected this, but according to SITL, it’s OK.

The binary from post 99 is from before that PR, so it is the correct one to test for a regression.

Yes, I tested it also in SITL with Q_FRAME_TYPE = 16. After git status, I got: Your branche is up to date “origin/master”
In SITL it works, but not with Pixracer.
Neither with ArduPlane V4.0.3 nor as in in Post 99 “ArduPlane V4.1.0dev (4119fff)”
In SITL is no such function as safety switch. May be its not
useful to compare/test this.

Just downloaded again your new Params but this is still included:

The same this remark. After resetting the Params to default it shows 0.2

@lorbass Thanks for pointing that out; I wonder whether autotune changed the q_wp parameters?
The throttle expo should be 0.2, not 20.0; probably a typo. I’ve updated the SITL parameters again.

Which monitor do you mean? Good idea to think about the HW.
My FC is also a Pixracer R14 .
Tomorow I will test this with a new Holybro Pixhaw 4 mini.

@lorbass I just flashed master to my Dart, which is also a Pixracer, and the motors started up as usual.
Here’s a link to the parameters for it:

It has frame_type=16 and the ESC is BlHeli32 with dshot150 (q_m_pwm_type=4)

Q_FRAME_CLASS    1.000000
Q_FRAME_TYPE     16.000000

Q_M_PWM_MAX         2000.0000 
Q_M_PWM_MIN         1000.0000 
Q_M_PWM_TYPE           4.0000    

I loaded plane 4.0.3 in my jetwing (pixhawk fmuv3) : motors does not arm with frame_type=16 but arm with frame_type=0
Then I loaded binaries from post 99 and I can arm motors with 0 and 16

Note : you need to reboot after the frame_type change.

@losawing What is Q_M_PWM_TYPE for your jetwing?

q_m_pwm_type = 0
BLheli 32 esc

With my Params the same behavior with Holybro Pixhawk 4 mini as with Pixracer.
With Master or V4.1.0dev same behavior.
Pixracer with Params dart_frame16_master from @kd0aij it works.
But did you recognize AHRS_EKF_TYPE is 3 but EK2 is enabled too.
Tomorow will start to adapt Param by Param to my Wiring in order to see where it goes wrong.

@lorbass This is the first test print with skin thickness of 0.6mm in PETG. Fairly tough and watertight, this is 50x50x250mm and weighs 22g. If I can get the thickness down to 0.4mm, the weight should decrease. I’ll see if I can generate an even thinner mesh for the surface.

1 Like

It looks good. With my Printer Ultimaker I got a sample with 0.4 mm thickness. But I do not know if printed with 0.25 or 0.4 mm nozzle.

Edit: Here the pics.

I try to show the situation about the activation of the Outputs.

In general: In Master works Q_FRAME_TYPE = 0 only and in FW Post99 Q_FRAME_TYPE = 0 and 16 .
Something “instable” in Stable.

maybe a newbie question : is master and plane 4.0.3 the same ?

Yes. sorry about mismatch.
Tried the whole afternoon to get working Binaries Post99 and “dart_frame_master” Params from Mark. The outputs are now on with Q_FRAME_TYPE = 16 but I can’t arm with the Throttle Stick anymore.
Even with the full calibration turn around (Accel, Mag, Radio) and no error messages.
Back to 4.0.3 it’s possible but no outputs with 16.
May be it’s a warning to stop the Project and to ground the Wing :roll_eyes:

Edit: Binaries can’t arm even with Reset the Params to default.

jetwing27janpost99.param (23.9 KB)
This is the parameter list that allowed me to arm my jetwing with post 99 binaries.
Compare it to your parameter list to look for differences. May I get your parameters to look at.
There might be some confusion too: when you say can’t arm in previous post, was it pixhawk, pixhawk armed but no signal to servo1-4 or ESC that do not arm ?

Plane 4.0.3 and master aren’t quite the same.
I can confirm that the motor outputs don’t work (no signal) with 4.0.3 but do with latest master and the build from post99 (pr-gsc-base 4119ebff).

With both master and pr-gsc-base, the motor PWM outputs start immediately after boot and before arming.
These are the BRD parameters I have:

BRD_BOOT_DELAY   0.000000
BRD_OPTIONS      1.000000
BRD_PWM_COUNT    6.000000
BRD_RTC_TYPES    1.000000
BRD_RTC_TZ_MIN   0.000000
BRD_SAFETYENABLE 0.000000
BRD_SAFETYOPTION 3.000000
BRD_SAFETY_MASK  0.000000
BRD_SD_SLOWDOWN  0.000000
BRD_SER1_RTSCTS  2.000000
BRD_SER2_RTSCTS  2.000000