Copter entered flip mode without being commanded to?

Hi everyone,

I would love some help determining why this copter went into flip mode (and crashed). I wasn’t flying this aircraft, but I went through and looked to see if any switches were setup to engage flip mode, and couldn’t find anything like that, or any flight modes set to flip. I’m not sure where else to look in the log - if anyone can even give me a starting point, that would be great. Thanks!

https://usu-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/a01416515_aggies_usu_edu/EY6BSPw26eFJqE__-zFHj5sBcmRC-KIlBqLC7ldJN9Ug2w?e=PWXqKe

There is. Someone set RC2_OPTION to 2 (Flip Mode). Which means anytime Pitch exceeds ~1750us or so Flip Mode is enabled. Lucky it only engaged twice.

Oh wow, good catch. I had skipped right over the normal control channels 1-4, thinking that there wouldn’t be any reason to check those. Thanks @dkemxr

We have seen that mistake before but I think it’s a first for Flip mode on a control channel. The quickest way to see this is to mouse over the RCIN channels in log review. Pitch+Flip Mode shows on 2.

1 Like

I had no idea the mouse function worked like that in the log viewer. Very cool - thanks for the tip!