Copter-4.2.3 released!

You wouldn’t believe it,…I tried it just an hour ago with MP on Ubuntu, QGC and MP on Windows11 → All calibration attempts failed. (MP was the beta from today)
Have also tried multiples times over the last few weeks and only success was by setting INS_ENABLE_MASK=115 or just the one active.

Now I’ve used the MP-stable again and suddenly it worked, despite failing always in the past.
:thinking:

1 Like

After installing copter 4.2.3, I could not calibrate the esc, and when the gps compass engine calibration is started, the engine does not rotate even though I give the gas.

I am also having problems with ESC calibration (or something) on my Pixhawk 6x. I has been working when I first downloaded 4.2.3 a few weeks ago and preivously worked with Px4 build it was delivered with. I did experiment a bit with changing receiver and all of sudden I was required to do all this calibration again. Anyway, I seem to have managed to calibrate radio (all channel indicators move with the tx inputs), sensors and I am into ESC calibration. There is this random serie of beeps from controller and ESCs but I am after that never manage to arm my quad. I have tried with both MP and QGroundcontrol.
My quad is an X500 ARF kit (all Holybro products) so I really expect this collection of crap to SIMPLY WORK without the need for too much fiddling but it doesn’t. Can someone give advice.

Try the Semi-Automatic ESC calibration
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/esc-calibration.html#semi-automatic-esc-by-esc-calibration

If you get that to work (or not) start a thread of your own and provide a .bin log file.
If you’re not getting to flight tests you can set LOG_DISARMED,1 for a while then set LOG_DISARMED,0

esc calibration-- compass motor calibration gives error, latest 4.1.5 works fine when i install old versions. Help ?

Do we still have to issue a change-speed after a waypoint in a mission?

If the ESC’s are the type that require the throttle settings to configure them, you may find it easier to use an external gizmo that generates PWM. I have a watt-meter that includes a servo connector, and a knob that allows me to change the PWM from 2000 to 1000. It works great for calibrating T-Motor Air ESC’s and Hobby Wing ESC - seems many work the same way.

AFAIK the change speed issue has been fixed in version 4.4.0-dev

2 Likes

The trouble with calibrating ESCs using an external device or receiver is:
PWM from each device and the flight controller are all slightly different due to oscillator and clock frequencies all being slightly different.

This is the very reason for ESC calibration - to align the ESC PWM with the Flight Controller PWM so that 1500PWM from FC means 1500PWM to the ESC.
Often there may be no great difference and it would seem like the ESCs are now calibrated and working OK, but technically they are not calibrated to the Flight Controller.

The ESC calibration methods provided by Ardupilot firmware should be used, I’ve always used the semi-auto method successfully.
The only reason I can think of for it failing is if the RC Calibration is not done, or MOT_PWM_MAX and MOT_PWM_MIN are not set correctly, or outside the range expected by the ESCs.

(The ESC calibration methods provided by the Ardupilot software should be used, I have always used the semi-automatic method successfully.) This feature does not work regularly after 4.1.5. I use cuav nora. I can’t calibrate the PWM Range esc. How to fix bug in version.

Change speed change issue fixed in 4.4.0 dev? That’s some ways off. I’d like to know if any earlier release has it fixed.

Sorry my confusion DO_CMD_JUMP is fixed in master. Change speed is probably still not fixed yet.

1 Like

Has anyone successfully tried and completed the autotune with version 4.2.3?

I keep getting failing to level; please tune manually.

I’m still having those issues with the 3rd. Accelerometer calibration as already mentioned in the beta release. (on Pixhawk 6X)
Still having the third Sensor disabled because of that.

However, I did notice the PX4 Team picking up on that exact problem as mentioned here:

Has there been any development in that regards?
Thanks

@Jai.GAY
No problem at all doing the auto-tune.
Did you check your throttle dead zone as mentioned in the instructions?
…that caused me once or twice the same problem you are having.

RC1_DZ = RC2_DZ = RC4_DZ = 20
RC3_DZ = 30. these are the dead zones I had used before in 4.0.x on other drones.

I am using self-centred sticks RC, RC calibrated, I do not think so.

It won’t hurt to set dead zone to 50 and try again.
You can always change back to your current values once auto-tune has been completed.

See also:
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/autotune.html?highlight=autotune

Common Problems

• If the vehicle will not start tuning (i.e. it won’t twitch) even though it is in AutoTune mode then the problem is likely that the roll, pitch, yaw or throttle sticks are not exactly in the middle. It may help to increase the deadzone on the RC input by increasing RC1_DZ, RC2_DZ, RC3_DZ and RC4_DZ to 50 (or higher).
1 Like

Anyone can further explain the different between or how to co-exist the pilot rate and expo which first introduce in 4.2.3.

Acro Yaw Rate and Acro Yaw Expo, when will it be used? Acro flight mode only?

By the way, I have gotten completed the autotune by advice after changing some of the default values.

Anyone can further explain the different between or how to co-exist the pilot rate and expo which first introduce in 4.2.3.

The rate parameter is the maximum rotational speed in degrees per second
The expo parameters is how fast it gets there - so low expo the response is more linear, high expo the response will be much quicker at the stick edges

Acro Yaw Rate and Acro Yaw Expo, when will it be used? Acro flight mode only?

In manual modes - so acro and stabilize

So is like speed (rate) and acceleration (expo).