Copter-3.6.0-rc3/-rc4 is available for beta testing

Brandon,
Ah, excellent! Txs for the report. I’m especially happy to hear that the landing gear is working.

1 Like

sorry, it still doesn’t match. The ChibiOS and NuttX logs have different tuning parameters, different compass cal, different RC cal etc.
I’ve created a pair of firmwares for you to test here:
http://uav.tridgell.net/quadsours/
if you could test those back-to-back, with no change in parameters and no recalibration between that would be really appreciated. Then upload the BIN logfiles from microSD.
Thanks!

Ok I will do that going to celebrate the 4th with a beer and file my logs for tomorrow afternoon.

Have a little more daylight so did the test Here is back to back… I went to download logs deleted all, then loaded chibIO via your master it did fly better but a tad shaky. I downloaded the log to MP logs and did the same for nutts.
log from Master directory.

If that does not work let me know.

BTW the ChibiOS will not let me connect the the 915MHz radios I have a hack to get out of boot mode until l remove the two wires. not a issue int Nuttx. master px4-v3

About the radio I did find a very odd bug last month regarding the 915 radio and how it is connected to Mission Planner. if connected via usb and then battery it wound fly. if not it connected and still in bind mode wold shake. This bug is 100% repeatable. however I think people thought was smoking grass :slight_smile: . this is only on the mRo v2.1 FC and hardware.
could be why I messed up the logs today :slight_smile:

radio

Here is the link to this issue.

I have encountered an Auto Mission event I can’t explain from the log. 3.6Rc3 Chibios. At a point during the mission it momentarily switches from Auto to Stabilize, drops in altitude (almost to the ground), then resumes the mission climbing to the proper altitude and completes the mission. It loses RC communication so there are radio failsafes but “Continue with Mission” is set in parameters. I’ll add that the mission speed is pretty fast but I see no other errors or reason for the problem. Any help would be appreciated, log attached.

Dave,

I’ve had an initial look at the logs and it looks like the receiver is setup to pull the channel 5 switch low when it loses contact with the transmitter. Normally the best way to setup the failsafe in the receiver is so that it doesn’t send pulses at all when it loses contact. The next best approach is to pull the throttle channel (normally channel 3) low… but it’s never a good idea for the receiver failsafe to change the flight mode channel.

I’ll have a look at whether behaviour has changed vs 3.5.5 in this area in any case… I can certainly see that some of the code in this area of the code has changed.

Thanks!
The logs are very similar, although I can see a very small bit more rate noise on the ChibiOS build.
I notice you have MOT_PWM_TYPE=4, which is DShot150, but the motors are connected on the main outputs which don’t do DShot for either NuttX or ChibiOS.
Can you please try with either OneShot or (if your ESCs support it) OneShort125 ?
You could also try with MOT_PWM_TYPE=0, for plain old fixed period PWM.
Cheers, Tridge

1 Like

Randy,
Thanks for the review and I see what you mean from RCIN C5. I checked my Rx setup (Frsky XSR) and it is set for “No Pulses” but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I’ll look into this further.

1 Like

Copter-3.6.0-rc4 is available now replacing -rc3. I’ve updated the title of this thread and the release notes at the top (look for “added in -rc4”). The major reason for the quick release of -rc4 was because we found the auto build of some of the new boards wasn’t working.

Quick issue: mRo v2.1 radio "stock wiring " will not connect to Mission Planner unless booted with USB first.
ChibiOS RC-1 through RC-4:

Steps plug in battery. look at radio no flashing of green but solid red. Radio in question
unplug battery plug in USB to FC and then battery Radio flashes and you are able to connect.

Note: advised to remove two wires on the connection however should we not check this for issues that can affect flight characteristics?

Decided to move the mRo FC to a old frame I lost the motor location on the frame so I needed to check motor rotation order assignment then received this error message in Mission Planner: False Flag when using " Motor Test" ChibIOS RC-4 and Nuttx error message: RC-trim greater than mim trim09. RC not calibrated and " command denied by autopilot "

What I did. Update firmware to chi rc-4 or PX4-v3 connect to MP using usb plug in battery or just raido, arm craft go to Optional Hardware/motor test. click on test motor a.

After the error I recalibrated radio and set trims to min 800 with same results. Note: craft will arm with radio.

Updated ChibiOS rc3 to rc4 today and flew one flight on both 2.4.8 Pixhawk and mRo Pixracer quads. No flight issues and was in heavy winds ( 11 gusting to 25 mph). Other than “beep” issue mentioned above, no problems.
Have not tried NuttX version yet, nor a setup from scratch.
Joe

1 Like

Hi Brandon, thanks for all your testing!

re the mRo radio. Are the issues only happening with ChibiOS or with NuttX as well? I guess there are two possibilities:

• the radio is browning out because the flight controller cannot provide enough power to it. If you’re using a Pixhawk or Cube autopilot then normally Telem1 can provide the most power so I’d move the radio to Telem1 if possible.
  • the flow control pins on the radio are not working or ArduPilot is not correctly detecting whether the flow control pins should be used or not. You could perhaps get around the problem by setting BRD_SER1_RTSCTS = 0 (to never use flow control) or 1 (to always use flow control). Note that the SER1 part of the parameter name assumes the radio is connected to Telem1.

The “RCx trim greater than min” is a mission planner issue so hopefully @meee1 can fix it in a future beta.

JoeB,

Thanks for testing! The “beep” during compass calibration should be sorted hopefully in -rc5.

By the way, it’s probably clear but it shouldn’t be necessary to calibrate the compass regularly. A compass calibration normally isn’t required when the vehicle is flown at a new location because we lookup the “declination” in a table based on the vehicle’s lat/lon position and the “inclination” is detected automatically. The compass calibration should only be required when metal bits are moved around on the vehicle.

1 Like

Hi only with ChibiOS rc1 thro rc-4

Yes if I remove the flow control wires it will connect I was wondering if this is possibly what causing the extra noise hurting GPS performance in the ChibiOS builds. Px4-v3 is fine no issues and i using this power pdb

BRD_SER1_RTSCTS = 0 I did try that but no change last month.

Hi this is a new issue when testing motors in Mission Planner it also give a radio calibration error flag and then " command denied by autopilot " in the same menu not in the HUD. I needed to roll back to a older FM to override. Will test this more. Note: Nuttx and ChibiOS.

1 Like

Thanks Randy. FYI , I put new ESC’s with telemetry on that machine, that’s when I re-did Compass Cal and noticed no beeps. Should have mentioned that. Telemetry ESC’s works great on Pixracer. Interesting info to have.
Joe.

1 Like