Control RunCam Split 4 video recording from a radio transmitter

Ok let me know if it now works. If it does not if you are able to identify which build in which it broke that would be really helpful.

Ok, I will temporarily (because of NTF_DISPLAY) flash todayā€™s latest version tonight and report back.

It could have been broken in any version between June 5 (works) and June 26 (didnā€™t work), Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s too many to flash and test. :wink:

RunCam hybrid support went in on June 9th. If you are able to at least test before and after that date that would be really helpful.

Sorry, Iā€™m a little confused - Iā€™m always using dev versions, and with those Iā€™ve been using RunCam Control with Hybrid for months already? Do you mean checking versions before/after June 9th with the Hybrid or the Split 4k?

On June 9th a PR of mine was merged that fixed some issues with better support for RunCam hybrids. So I want to ascertain if that PR is the cause of your issues on the 4k. So whatever is not working for you try it either side of that PR.

Ah I see. It looks like there were no new versions between June 8th and June 14th (https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/2021-06/) so Iā€™ll now be comparing those.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot that I have taken my radio apart to replace some sliders, so Iā€™ll have to finish that first (unless there is a way to simulate the channel switches in MP?).

1 Like

Confirmed, RunCam Control (start/stop at least) with Split 4k stopped working on June 9th.

Working: commit 30029f59db19e03a59545baa7cccaa6e3a856aad from June 8th

Not working: commit 08b8a43ab583301b0f1de358d8a0273caf97e24b from June 14th

BTW, I have not yet tried a Hybrid with a version that includes your PR. I could do that tomorrow if you want, as Iā€™ll be working on a plane with a Hybrid anyway.

Do you have CAM_RC_TYPE set to 3? If so just as an experiment can you set it to 4? I can only see one line that can be responsible but I donā€™t understand why.

I just wanted to try this and found that there are no CAM_RC parameters available at all in commit 08b8a43ab583301b0f1de358d8a0273caf97e24b from June 14thā€¦?

Ah, tridge removed the runcam feature around the 14th on the matek, it got put back on the 16th - so you need to try a build from the 16th or later

Ok, it was all false alarm I guess. After start/stop was working on versions from 16th and 20th, I got suspicious and flashed todayā€™s one - works.

But along the way I discovered that itā€™s really necessary to power down the board before checking for changes - which I hadnā€™t done before. Because the OLED display continued to work even with todayā€™s version and I knew this couldnā€™t be. After cold reboot it went dark, but start/stop still worked.

So while it was all bit of a waste of time, one thing learned at least. :wink:

1 Like

Display has been re-enabled in master

1 Like

Fantastic, thanks! :partying_face:

@andyp1per OT again, but if you have the time, could you take a look at Two sensor problems/questions - External Baro + External Compass ? Iā€™m especially wondering if the 2-baro curve is supposed to look like this.

I have the original problem with getting the runcam split 4 to switch on off video from my tx.
My parameters donā€™t include
CAM_RC_BT_DELAY,7000
CAM_RC_BTN_DELAY,300
CAM_RC_CONTROL,0
CAM_RC_FEATURES,247
CAM_RC_MDE_DELAY,800
CAM_RC_TYPE,3

I can only find cam_type etc.

Is my firmware out of date? Itā€™s a speedybee f405 wing and I thought I flashed the latest arduplane firmware.

Please advise. Thanks

Runcam may be compile out for space - you might have to use the custom build server to get it @hwurzburg FYI

Runcam is not included in std SpeedyBeeF405 Wing firmwareā€¦use the custom.ardupilot.org to make a version with it included.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am attempting to do such a custom build removing all I donā€™t need adding runcam features. However build failed twice. Grateful for any tips! When it fails can I rework it or start again?

Looks like you chose ACNS-CM4Pilot instead of SpeedyBeeF405 Wing.

Hmm I thought I chose the f405wing but it came out wrongly