Connecting via Bluetooth

I need to connect to the Pixhawk FC using a Bluetooth interface, I’m just not sure how. Does anyone have experience with this?

1 Like

It’s pretty easy, You need a Bluetooth module like one of these.
https://www.amazon.ca/LeaningTech-HC-05-Module-Pass-Through-Communication/dp/B00INWZRNC
You need to connect it to the UART port and set that port to Mavlink,
Pair the unit to your phone or what ever device your using and thts about it.
At least thats all I remember I hav enot had a need for this setup in sometime…but it was pretty easy.

It’s as easy as @rickyg32 says but I would suggest a WiFi radio instead. I have found BT radios to be finicky and not all Ground Control station implementations work. QGC on IOS for example.I got rid of all of mine years ago and replaced them with ESP8266 radios. The version I use are <$5 and easily programmed.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-esp8266-telemetry.html

I agree with Dave.
Wifi is much better. But either way easy peasey to setup

I’m building an antenna tracker and would like to use the bluetooth downlink from my TBS Crossfire system to provide telemetry to a Pixhawk module powering the Antenna Tracker. I know this is usually done via telemetry radios but it would be much simpler to provide the Mavlink information via a bluetooth link already present in the Crossfire transmitter.

I’m building an antenna tracker and need to provide telemetry information to the Pixhawk antenna tracker module I’m using.

I’ve seen this interface module you suggested used for telemetry connection to a PC and ultimately, Mission Planner but was wondering if it would work to provide a bluetooth link between the Crossfire radio module and the Pixhawk antenna tracker module ?

There is an Antenna Tracker thread. You might get more targeted help there. Not a lot of love given to Tracker these days.

I tried posting a question on that thread but no one has gotten back to me. I’m just looking for some information on bluetooth telemetry connections. Does bluetooth provide data transmission in both directions?

yes it’s two way transmission and for short range it works well.

1 Like

Check out this page here. I have just done this in the past day or so.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-mission-planner-bluetooth-connectivity.html

Take note about the bottom section. Most of the HC05/06 modules have default 9600 baud and you may need to use an FTDI cable to connect and change the default baud rate to 57400. I did this successfully also.

Hi Rick, I use a 433mhz to Bluetooth telemetry module with a range of 500m on water level ( boat user). Maybe that will help you out

Lol…welllll it’s not as simple as these guys are saying. The thing is if you fully understand ardupilot and how to set it up it is, some what. You first have to program/ setup the bluetooth using a FTDI via arduino IDE. There’s a few youtube videos showing how to set it up. Despite what everyone says this stuff is not plug and play. They make a lot of things sound like it is easy to do on these threads, but that’s because these guys know ardupilot. Keep doing it and it becomes EASIER, but nothing is plug and play with open source. Sometimes you get lucky and you get something to work without too much hassle.

I have never used Arduino in my life and had no issues setting up bluetooth on Arducopter. The most I did was an AT command to change the device name to something I preferred and even then I did that just for kicks.

It is that simple. BT radios, Wifi radios, Sik Radios, this is the most basic technology and it’s many years old. Luck has nothing to do with it.

So these radios is plug and play??? Because I have used both and they are not plug and play. The sik radio is easier to connect than bluetooth but you have to go into MP for either to work. Listen I get it, you guys know what you are doing and therefore the radios is childs play compare to getting LEDs to work . I have been flying rc , mostly planes since the 80s. Futaba, Hitec, JR is plug and play comparing to open TX or ardupilot. You plug in a servo into channel 1 and your aileron work. Try that with opentx and ardupilot. They are several steps to get the simplest things to work. If you know the steps yes its easy. I’m an electrician. I think wiring a house to code and pass inspection is easy. Why ? Because I have done it hundreds of times.

I think wiring a house to code and passing inspection is easy too. Why? Because it’s not that complicated. I don’t think most people interested in flying RC craft with Ardupilot and a Radio running OpenTx are much intimidated by figuring out how to make it work. That’s half the fun. If they were they would buy something ready to fly. That’s not what this is.

And, you can purchase BT and ESP8266 WiFi radios that are ready to go (Plug and Play sounds too 90’s). Sik radios are anyway.

Lol, yep I figured you guys are young. Yes plug and play may be 90s but it tells how easy it is to get something to work. Comes from computer techs. Back then when building a computer some components you plugged into the MB and it worked without having to mess with IRQs. USrobotics modems worked for the most part , Motorola not so easy without messing with settings.
Someone mentioned AT command…but didn’t say where or with what. What if the bluetooth don’t go into bootloader mode, then what do you do… Press the button??? When do you press the button??? What if there’s no button then what ? It’s not that easy…

Oh yeah, you can wire a house ? Ok how many circuits go on a 6 foot kitchen counter top …lol?

If it will work the way I want it too, it will only need to transmit from my TBS Crossfire radio, which is bluetooth equipped, to the Pixhawk module I’m using as an antenna tracker. I have a similar setup on one of my other drones with a Vector and Eagle eyes Antenna tracker except it transmits from the tracker to the ground station. With a 15dbi antenna I get a few miles with a 5.8ghz system. That’s actually more than enough for what I need but with a 2.4ghz system I can get around 30 miles! How’s that for spying on the neighbors.

By the way. You guys make it sound like there’s a learning curve or something. Glad I started when I did. I find it works better for me to wait until I need to know something and then find out. I’m already a camera tech and know way too much already.