Co-axial motor power allocation for efficiency improvement

I have seen a lot of discussion about using different KV, pitch and prop size between top and bottom co-axial motors to prevent top motors from working too hard or to improve overall efficiency. This thread from around 2020 comes to mind.

I can’t find a clear answer about whether or not ardu-pilot supports the ability to allow us to assign more power to the top or bottom rotors. I see people changing ESC PWM ranges and doing all sorts of things to affect this behavior.

Given all the work that people are doing, would it not make sense to add a feature that would allow one to set the power allocation between the top and bottom motors. Perhaps one of the contributers could weight in? For example, what would happen if you modified the output signals of the bottom motors (assuming we are working from 0 to 1) by like 1.2 and clipping to allowable values (or something more elegant)…

More elegant would be to create a new motor mixer using lua scripting.

Yep, this is possible using lua scripting to load a mixer with throttle factors.

So with the help of @iampete from this thread, I have made a start at wrighting the proposed script. Sadly I keep failing at the point where I run MotorsMatrix:init(8). I’m a little stuck here, since I haven’t been able to run any of the MotorMatrix example scripts from github.
My assumption is that some of my configuration parameters are incompatable with what I’m trying to do, but figureing this out with trail and error seems like it will he quite the pita. I’m hoping that someone with some more lua/ardupilot experience might glance over what I have and point me toward a probable culprit. The script so far is as follows:

-- duplicate the #defines from AP_Motors
local AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CW = -1
local AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CCW = 1

local AP_MOTORS_MOT_1 = 0
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_2 = 1
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_3 = 2
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_4 = 3
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_5 = 4
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_6 = 5
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_7 = 6
local AP_MOTORS_MOT_8 = 7

local COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO = 1.0
local COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO = 1.0

local PARAM_TABLE_KEY = 72
assert(param:add_table(PARAM_TABLE_KEY, "COAX_", 30), 'could not add COAX table')
assert(param:add_param(PARAM_TABLE_KEY, 1,  'TOP_THRUST_RATIO', 0.8), 'could not add TOP_THRUST_RATIO')
assert(param:add_param(PARAM_TABLE_KEY, 2,  'TOP_YAW_RATIO', 0.5), 'could not add TOP_YAW_RATIO')

-- helper function duplication of the one found in AP_MotorsMatrix
local function add_motor(motor_num, angle_degrees, yaw_factor, testing_order)

MotorsMatrix:add_motor_raw(motor_num,math.cos(math.rad(angle_degrees + 90)),
                                         math.cos(math.rad(angle_degrees)),
                                         yaw_factor,
                                         testing_order)

end

local function updateThrustFactor()
    -- this duplicates the add motor format used in AP_Motors for ease of modification of existing mixes
    -- standard octa quad X mix

local COAX_NEW_TOP_THRUST_RATIO = param:get('COAX_TOP_THRUST_RATIO')
    local COAX_NEW_TOP_YAW_RATIO = param:get('COAX_TOP_YAW_RATIO')

-- if unchanged, return
    if COAX_NEW_TOP_THRUST_RATIO==COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO and COAX_NEW_TOP_YAW_RATIO==COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO then
        --no action required check back in, in 5 seconds
        return updateThrustFactor, 5000
    end
    -- if out of range, return
    if (COAX_NEW_TOP_THRUST_RATIO>1) or (COAX_NEW_TOP_THRUST_RATIO<0) or (COAX_NEW_TOP_YAW_RATIO>1) or (COAX_NEW_TOP_YAW_RATIO<0) then
        gcs:send_text(6, "WARNING: Tried to set COAX value out of range [0,1], skipping...")
    end
    -- TODO if armed return...

COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO = COAX_NEW_TOP_THRUST_RATIO
    COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO = COAX_NEW_TOP_YAW_RATIO

add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_1,  45, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CCW*COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO,  1) -- top front right
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_2, -45, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CW*COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO, 7) -- top front left
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_3, -135, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CCW*COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO, 5) -- top back left
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_4, 135, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CW*COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO, 3) -- top back right

add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_5,  -45, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CCW,  8) -- bottom front left
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_6,  45, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CW,  2) -- bottom front right
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_7, 135, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CCW,  4) -- bottom back right
    add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_8, -135, AP_MOTORS_MATRIX_YAW_FACTOR_CW,  6) -- bottom back left

-- -- setup throttle factors
    -- -- top motors reduce throttle
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_1, COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_2, COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_3, COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_4, COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO)

-- bottom motors get full (the default is one so these lines don't actually do anything.)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_5, 1.0)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_6, 1.0)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_7, 1.0)
    MotorsMatrix:set_throttle_factor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_8, 1.0)

assert(MotorsMatrix:init(8), "Failed to init MotorsMatrix")

motors:set_frame_string("Octo Quad with different top and bottom throttle")

gcs:send_text(6, "Updated thrust factors TOP_TRUST_RATIO=" .. COAX_CURRENT_TOP_THRUST_RATIO .. " TOP_YAW_RATIO=" .. COAX_CURRENT_TOP_YAW_RATIO)

end

return updateThrustFactor, 1000

As I mentioned here and above, failure happens when MotorMatrix.init(n) gets called. Parameters are attached in the text file BC2_30_Nov.txt
The linked thread contains a more minimal example which also fails in the same way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BC2_30_Nov.txt (19.8 KB)

You need Q_FRAME_CLASS 15 for “Scripting Matrix”

Thanks @iampete!
I can confirm that setting Q_FRAME_CLASS to 15 has solved the MotorMatrix init problem.

In order to evaluate the efficiency of various mixing ratios it would be great if I can set the ratio using a parameter. In the above script I have tried to create such a perameter to controll the mixing, but I don’t seemd to be able to change it. I have tried using mission planner and QGC. I can see the parameter in the GCS, but when I try to modify the parameter I get the message Setting <parameter_name> failed. Any ideas?

You only get 16 characters for param names, so your names are too long. You also need to use the :get() methods to get the value of the param.

@iampete you’re the man! I have attached my latest attempt
here
so that I don’t drown this thread in multaple iterations of the same script.

If it’s of any use to anyone, this script crates two parameters CX_TOP_THRUST and CX_TOP_YAW that it then uses to modify the thrust output and yaw contribution of the top 4 motors, so setting CX_TOP_THRUST to 0.8 will cause the top motor’s thrust output to be limited to 80% linearly and setting the CX_TOP_YAW to 0 will cause the top 4 Motors to effectively ignore any yaw commands. Making this a negative value might actually improve yaw response for certain airframes.
This is obveously provided without any garauntee implied or otherwise and if you need something this complex you should probably roll your own, but hopefully this might be a usefull referince for one of you.

I suspect a single motor above or below will always be more efficient than co-axial, though lacking redundancy of course. In this regard a hexacopter with single motors might be the best compromise between efficiency and redundancy/flight safety.

I think key advantages with the coax format, such as an octaquad, are the use of bigger props than on a similar sized hex or octo, and still retain as much or better redundancy. I am sure there’s some efficiency loss in running the motors/props in a coax format, but that could be offset by the efficiency of bigger props.
I havent noticed any actual testing for this, but I havent looked very hard either…

Hi all and thanks @Eduard_Kieser for building this script.

I’ve tested running it on copter 4.3.1 and it loads OK showing the new updated values in the mavlink messages. However when testing it there’s no sign of effect on motor output. I tried setting the TOP_THRUST_RATIO to 0.1 just for test and the top motors still received commands well over the 10% value.

I know I’m a year late to the party but did it work in your case ?
@xfacta Maybe any ideas ?