Clarification of Yaw and Altitude in logs

Hello,

Two quick questions, what is the definition of Yaw in the DataFlash logs. While hovered over the variable I get “Estimated Yaw” however it seems to display heading rather than Yaw.

I expect to have readings of Yaw between -45 to 45 degrees at a push. Also, is it possible to display Yaw in the logs as well as heading?

yaw

Then for Altitude, again whilst hovering over I get “Estimated Altitude”. What is this altitude, height above sea level or height above ground?

Could someone please clarify both variables, it would be much appreciated!!!

Or if someone can send me a manual which shows the actual definations of all the variables that would also be great!

Many thanks,

You’ve posted in the copter section - so Yaw in logs is the compass heading that the front of the autopilot is facing, which could be totally different to the GPS track across the ground (direction of travel) since copters can travel equally in any direction and there’s usually no specific front or back.

In Plane logs ATT.Yaw (achieved yaw) and AHR2.Yaw (estimated yaw) can be different, but I’m not experienced enough with Plane logs to say if that’s in indication of side-slip due to wind or a non-coordinated turn, or something else. I cant say which of those equates exactly to the ground track or where the nose is pointed.
We’ll need a more experienced Plane person.

Altitude is above “Home” or the take-off point.
There’s logging for altitude above terrain, and also GPS.Alt which will be altitude above mean sea level.

1 Like

Great, Thank very much. I’ll repost in the plane section. Seems a bit stupid to call something Yaw when it’s in fact heading.