Cannot calibrate radio (no green bars)

The dev team on another post says that 4.10 (waiting since last year) should support new Spectrum protocol.
I tried flashing my FC with 4.1 beta release but it won’t let me me load new fw. I must be doing something wrong.

If I ever make it to 70s, I’ll be building free flight. Full circle :wink:

Download the .apj file from here and use the “Load custom Firmware” button in Mission Planner.
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/beta/MatekF765-Wing/

Or try the latest Dev version here:
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/latest/MatekF765-Wing/

Wow… reading this is like somebody followed me around for the last two weeks canonicalizing the story of my life… this is exactly what I have been going through with the h743-wing… i have been pulling my hair out and hey… I dont have that much hair left so before I start in on my beard will somebody PLEASE pull a rabbit out of their hat on this one??? So all this is to say … Misery loves company and I think im going to give INAV a try…

Hi Guys,
I had a similar problem with the same Board (Matek H743-Slim) but an SBUS Receiver (R-XSR).
For me the problem was solved by either specifying the baud rate (SERIAL7_BAUD) or the used receiver protocol (RC_PROTOCOLS).
In my case it either works with
RC_PROTOCOLS = 8 (This means SBUS. Note that this is a bitmask: 3 → 2^3 = 8)
or with
SERIAL7_BAUD = 111 (More information about the protocols: RC Input and Output — Dev documentation)

I think it should be prefered to change RC_PROTOCOLS and not to touch SERIAL7_BAUD.
Of course you would have to specify the DSM protocol (32) or whatever protocol you use (there are also DSMX, SRXL2, … Spektrum RC Systems — Copter documentation).

I hope that helps!

Hi Guys:
!!!SUCCESS!!!

Had to step away from this for awhile… WAY too many priorities. For the last few days, I’ve re-read everything I could find about connecting my Spektrum SPM4650 (DSMX/SRXL2) receiver to my Matek H743-Slim autopilot. I applied everything I’ve learned, and was finally able to see the ‘Radio Calibration’ green bars for my Spektrum DX6 Radio!

Many thanks to all of you who have offered valuable suggestions. Without you, I’d be nowhere. :beers:

To accomplish this, I decided to start from scratch. I can’t stress enough… reboot Mission Planner, Rx, Tx, FC, and GPS/compass often! If you make ANY changes, reboot or you may get false results! Here’s what worked for me…

• Connected the SINGLE SRXL2 signal wire from my Rx to the Tx6 (Serial7) pad. For telemetry to work, must use the Tx pad.
  • Installed latest Spektrum v2.44 SPM4650 Rx firmware.
  • Installed latest Spektrum v2.08 DX6 Tx firmware.
  • Installed latest v1.3.75 Mission Planner.
  • Installed latest STM32 Cube Programmer (used to flash my H743 autopilot with Arducopter/Matek H743 firmware).
  • Using STM32 Cube Programmer, I did a full ‘Chip Erase’, then Flashed latest v4.1.1 Arducopter/Matek H743 firmware.
  • MP > Setup tab > Mandatory Hardware > Frame Type (‘X’ for my Diatone Tyrant).
  • MP > Setup tab > Mandatory Hardware > Accel Calibration (worked fine).
  • MP > Setup Tab > Mandatory Hardware > Compass (if this never completes, first hit the ‘Large Vehicle MagCal’ button, point your copter south, enter ‘180’, then run the calibration again).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > BRD_ALT = 0 (no need to use ‘1’ unless you MUST use the Rx6 pad on the FC).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > RC_PROTOCOLS = 257 (specifies that the Rx is using SRXL2 to speak to the FC).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > RSSI_TYPE = 3 (specifies that this is a receiver).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_BAUD = 115 (115,000 baud).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_PROTOCOL = 23 (Rx input).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_OPTIONS = 4 (half duplex on single signal wire).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > ***** WRITE PARAMS button, upper right *****
  • REBOOT EVERYTHING, power on TX, Rx, FC, GPS/compass, and CONFIRM Rx/Tx BIND (my SPM4650 Rx has a solid red LED)
  • MP > Setup Tab > Mandatory Hardware > Radio Calibration > !!!SUCCESS!!! (green bars show on screen!).

Hopefully, this will help any of you with the same or similar hardware.

Best Regards,
Dennis

1 Like

That’s awesome! Glad to hear you got it working.

Thanks Allister… couldn’t have done it without your guidance!!! :clap:
Best Regards,
Dennis

1 Like