Servers by jDrones

Can I set desired roll, pitch via companion computer?

arduplane
dronekit
(armadillo) #1

Hello, I am using dronekit python on Raspberry Pi 2 and I was wondering if we can set roll and pitch directly (Arduplane). The dumb way would be to use RC override but this is really not what I am looking for, I want to set a target, say, bank 10 degrees to the right, pitch 5 degrees down or something and let the Arduplane PID take care of the implementation. With RC override, I would be second guessing the PID controller and trying to implement my own, very primitive, controller in the companion.

For pitch, I can kind of cheat by mucking about with PITCH_TRIM_CD, it’s ugly but it’s actually what I am after in that it sets a target pitch, even if it’s totally the wrong way to go about it. The downside is, of course, that if the script goes south, I might have a plane that’s so out of trim it’s unflyable in anything other than manual, not ideal.

For roll, there is nothing that I am aware of that might do that other than RC override.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I there a way of doing it via a raw MAVLINK message or something?