Can I Run M.P. On A Windows11 laptop?

I am building a Tarot Sport quadcopter and plan to use an old APM2.8 controller. I downloaded a version of M.P. That is compatible, but I cannot access the list of COM ports via device manager. My flight control requirements are modest and can be handled by my APM, but I need to run M.P. On my laptop. I don’t know what COM port to connect to. Can anyone help me?

Get an old windows 7 computer, install a mission planner from 2015 and you will certainly be able to program and configure your APM 2.8

That has ocurred to me, but I’d like to avoid the expense if possible. I also thought about getting a Pixhawk, installing the latest M.P. but I’m afraid that I will still have the same problem. How do people use M.P. on a Windows11 machine?

It works fine. The problems that you have stem from the fact that due to APM 2.8 you must use a MP from 2015. And windows 11 does not like that.

But if you use a new MP, Windows will work fine, but MP will not see APM 2.8.

You need to choose your poison:

1. Get older windows, MP from 2105, APM 2.8
  2. Use Windows 11, newest MP and pixhawk.

I found a Windows 7 laptop for sale for $100. Seems that I will spend at least as much for a Pixhawk. If I go the Pixhawk route, are you saying that M.P. will automatically recognize it and I won’t have to go through picking a COM port as part of the connection process? Sorry for being a pain and possibly redundant, but I’m just trying to have a clear picture of my options…

Thanks in advance for you help!

install arduino, it should install the usb drivers.

I can not guarantee you that 100%
But a ton of users use Windows 11 for the past two years without issues, yes.
At work I am forced to use Windows 10 so I can not tell you how good Windows 11 is.

Get a H7 based STM32 flight controller instead of the now old F4 STM23 pixhawk.

Thanks for you help! I think I will go the Windows 7 route and use the APM that I already have. My flight needs are really modest and can be handled nicely with it. Also, the laptop, at $100 is a cheaper solution.

Thanks again!

I would buy a $100 flight controller that is supported today.

2 Likes

I agree you are better-off putting $200 towards a flight controller that will be supported tomorrow than to try and keep an old APM in service for less$$.

You will get more features and much better support.

Well, the issue is this. I expect that this will be the last multirotor I will build. My requirements are pretty simple, and I don’t know how many times I will flyl this one once it is built and assuming I don’t crash it. I’ve already blown through my initial budget and so I’m trying to conserve cash. I get that lots of folks are using H7 based STM32 flight controllers successfully with M.P. but I don’t know if anyone has been as successful with, say, a Pixhawk 2.4.8 PX4 or equivalent. The appeal of these older devices is that they are packaged in enclosures and I can connect to them using jst connectors instead of soldlering onto board pads. Also, I require seven channels of functionality. For me, it makes sense just to buy an old laptop given that I won’t be using it for anything else and this will most likely be the last multicopter I will build.

MP is really irrelevant. It’s Ardupilot that’s important.

Daily there are posts having success with these old and generic FC’s but they are way past their sell by date.

Some of the cheapest FC’s will do that.

Then you will have 2 obsolete pieces of hardware.

I don’t see the logic here.

True, but the quad will be obsolete - a Tarot Sport with a Tarot 3axis gimbal and GoPro Hero camera, and analog vtx. This will be my last build. At 73, I too am obsolete!

Install Arduino, it will install the usb drivers for the atmega chip that the apm uses so it shows up as a com port.

3 Likes

I just joined the Arduino Community with the idea of learning how to install Arduino onto my Windows 11 laptop. If this works and I’m able to connect with my APM via Mission Planner on my laptop then that would be my best solution.

I understand others’ objections to my insisting on using an APM instead of newer STM32 flight controllers, but in my search of them all I see are boards that seem more suitable for smaller racing quads. I am building a larger quad and these are my requirements:

Seven channels of functionality: three for pitch, yaw and roll control, one for throttle, one for selecting one of three flight modes, one for camera gimbal tilt control and one for retracting/extending the landing skids.

Connections using JST connectors

Power source using an APM power module (already installed)

Use of Ublox M8N GPS Module and 433 MHZ telemetry modem

Ability to use most of the available flight modes - in particular auto (waypoint missions), and automatic extending of landing skds during landing phases in Land and RTL modes

I’d prefer that the controller be housed in an enclosure.

If I can get all of that in a STM32 flight controller then that would be a consideration. But for now my preferences are:

1. Explore installing Arduino on my Windows 11 laptop with the idea of connecting M.P. to my APM.
  2. Buy the obsolete Windows 7 laptop for $100 and remain in an old obsolete world.
  3. Explore the possibility of using a Pixhawk 2.4.8 32 Bit Flight Controller on a version of M.P. running on my Windows 11 laptop
  4. Looking for a newer flight controller that connects to the latest M.P. and can satisfy my above requirements.

Thanks for your suggestion - I will pursue it!

@FossilRider I hate to see you have to spend money to stay in the old world.

There is another option for your windows 11 computer to run windows 10 from a USB stick or USB HDD and then install the older version of the software.

There are a few options below.

Tristan.

1 Like

I started out with an AMP. APM is a dead horse and there is no sense in beating it. Buy a Pixhawk.

Almost every available STM32 based autopilot on the market meets your requirements except for JST connectors.

None of them are specific to smaller vehicles. Some are simply smaller form factors to more easily fit smaller frames. They all share similar hardware and basic architecture.

The ones with plug and play connectors tend to be a little pricier, but you already explored buying a whole dang computer just to stay stuck in the past…

APM may indeed be a dead horse, but it satisfies all of my modest requirements. But I am willing to give up on it and buy a Pixhawk if I can be convinced that I can connect to it with a version of Mission Planner that will run on my Windows 11 laptop.

By Pixhawk, I’m thinking of a PX4 PIX 2.4.8. If I get one, what version of M.P. will run on Windows 11 and will connect to it? Do I have to specify which COM port in order to do the connection? Because I cannot access any list of COM ports via device manager on my machine.

I do not want to buy a board that requires me to solder all the friggin ESC control lines and outputs from the receiver. I’d like to think that there must be one that is in some sort of enclosure and I can simply plug the input and output lines to it.

Any suggestions?

The version link here MP Install

Go with the Pixhawk 2.4.8 if it’s all you can afford. Any supported FC is a better choice than an APM.

It has been suggested that a good FC choice for those with solderaphobia is this excellent FC
Look Ma connectors!!!