Can I Run M.P. On A Windows11 laptop?

Well, based on my web searches I encounted a discussion with a guy who seems knowledgeable who said that there are no usb drivers for Windows 11 that I can with M.P to connect to my APM 2.8. If I’m still bent on using my APM then it seems that my choice is to either get a laptop that has Windows XP or install a virtual XP on my Windows 11 laptop and try running M.P. in the virtual XP environment. Since this is a no cost option I will try that first.

I will go the Pixhawk 2.4.8 route if I can be assured that I can connect to it with some version of M.P. that will run on Windows 11. Meanwhile, I will also follow the link you provided and see what that’s all about.

THank you for your reply!

Currently supported versions of Mission Planner run fine under Windows 11 and will connect to all currently supported autopilots without issue. No further agonizing over such a decision is warranted.

1 Like

Thank you. Just a couple more questions, if you don’t mind. I’m assuming that Pixhawk 2.4.8 is still supported? If I install the current M.P. on my Windows 11 machine, will it automatically recognize the Pixhawk, or do I still have to identify a COM port? Finally, since I have already soldered an APM Power Module to my poswer distribtion board, can I use it to power the Pixhawk? I promise - no more gaonizing after this!

It’s a supported variant but the products labeled Pixhawk 2.4.8 tend to be cheap clones of a product that ceased production some years ago. As such, quality and performance can be a bit suspect. If that’s all you can afford, it’s still a better option than the unsupported APM you have on hand.

Highly recommend you explore the other options mentioned above before committing to the 2.4.8.

A COM port will be created upon connecting a modern autopilot to your computer. Again…agonizing over a non-issue.

As long as the existing PDB has a 5V output, it can power any other autopilot just fine.

Thanks again for your reponse!

If you do buy a 2.4.8 don’t buy a Radiolink version. Other than that it’s a box of chocolates and it doesn’t matter who you get it from.

And you won’t know what hardware it contains until you connect it to MP.

If you have a telemetry radio you can connect the latest version of MP on Windows 11. USB port on it is damaged so it’s the only choice.

Here is an example from an old APM I have I just connected:

if you just install arduino its com port will show up, this is the third time i have told you this. arduino has the windows 11 drivers for the 32u chip that the apm uses for USB. you dont need to use arduino in any way, you just need to install it.

2 Likes

Yea, be skeptical of any “guy” giving advice unless it’s here, on the Discord channel from a Developer, The Ardupilot YouTube channel and, dare I say it, the Ardupilot Facebook page.

1 Like

I ordered a Pixhawk but then realized that it depends on a radio using the S-bus protocol. I’m not going to buy a damn encoder for the Pixhawk, so when it arrives I will return it. I am back to using my APM and I don’t care that it’s obsolete - it will satisfy my modest requirements.

I tried installing. Virtual XP Windows on my desktop but could not get it to access my USB port, so I’ve given up on that. A friend in California is shipping to me his old Dell XP machine. All I want to do is install the firmware on my APM and configure the IMU. After that, I can talk to my Windows 11 laptop with the latest M.P. Communicating via the telemetry modems.

Oh, and my Tarot gimbal need so be configured but the s/w in the dingle hasn’t been updated since 2012, so again I will need the XP machine to configure the gimbal.

Your Receiver is PWM only? What RC system is it?

your incorrect in just about everything you have said, you don’t need the xp as I have explained now for the 4th time. I’m starting to think you’re actually trying to waste our time now.

I bought a used Turnigy ER9X transmitter from a guy on craigslist. He threw in three Turnigy receivers - two 6 channel and one 8 channel. I’m using the 8 channel rcvr because I require 7 of them. Please don’t give me gas over using old tech - I’m sick of guys trying to convince me to upgrade after I have repeatedly indicated that this will be my last build and I’m satisfied that what I’ve got will work for my needs.

At no point have I said upgrade. I have gave you detailed instructions on how to get your APM working with windows 11 and you have ignored them repeatedly. This is my last reply.

So is this one of them?

Rx

I think you have taken the forum about as far as it will go with Unsupported hardware. The problem you may have when you actually assemble all that old stuff is finding someone that knows anything about it. That happens frequently here on the forum. You will be in your own Silo with the rest of the APM posters whose posts peter out for lack of available knowledge.

I think some explanation is in order here before I sign off. When I embarked on this project, a couple of years after my Tarot Ironman crashed, I decided to make use of what I had left over - a set of 17" Tarot propellers, a GPS module, an analog video receiver/monitor/dvr and a couple of power supplies. I wanted to build another large quad because I enjoyed the challenges of the build and the satisfaction of flying somehing I made. I wanted a stabilized video platform, but wan’t picky about video quality - a GoPro Hero would suffice.

Since nobody that I know of is building large quads anymore, I thought that I could acquire some components at reduced prices, so I embarked on a scavenger hunt, searching for stuff people no longer wanted. My goto sites were craigslist and Ebay, and as a last resort AliExpress. Because I have an analog video monitor, a digital video system was out of the question as I didn’t want to incur the expense. I got two of my MN5008 KV400 motors at a reduced price from a retailer who wanted them off his inventory - had to pay full price for the other two.

I also wanted to minimize the learning curve, hence my desire to use an APM flight controller. Yeah, I know they are no longer supported and yes, they were obsolete when I first entered this hobby. But it provided the functionality I wanted, and it was relatively cheap. Bottom line, I wanted to save as much money as I could and not invest in new stuff if I could avoid it because I most likely will not build another multicopter or any other aircraft. I bought an old Turnigy transmitter from a guy on craigslist and he threw in a few receivers - all pwm technology, but again that’s okay for my needs.

I did not expect that I’d run into as many problems as I did, mainly with trying to get a version of Mission Planner on my Windows 11 laptop that would connect to my APM. I went down a lot of rabbit holes and when I asked for help, mostly I got chastised for insisting on using old tech that is no longer supported. If I annoyed some of you, well I’m sorry. I merely wanted help with the specific problem and didn’t want or need editorial comments such as speculations was to the causes of my previous crashes or why I should abandon my approach and spend more money on newer tech.

I have had more than my share of other challenges but I’ve found solutions to each of them. Here is a pic. of my quad as it presently stands.

I mounted the APM in order to confirm sufficient wire lengths and clearances. I have yet to install the GPS module and video transmitter; right now, I’m puzzling on where and how to mount it. Hanging off to the left is the Tarot gimbal calibration dongle. The calibration S/W hasn’t been updated since 2012, so once again the need for an XP machine which should arrive from my friend in California in a week or so. Once I get the gimbal calibrated, the APM firmware installed and the IMU calibrated I can do the rest on my Windows 11 laptop running M.P. and communicatiing via the telemetry modems.

I hope that in perhaps three weeks or so it will be ready for its maiden flight.