Beta release 4.0 estimation?

Anything based on a STM32F4 (regular Pixhawks, Black Cubes, etc) besides Pixracers will still need the serial inverter cable. Pixracers have the inverter onboard.
Anything sporting STM32F7 (and H7) like Pixhawk4, Kakute F7, Orange Cube, etc, are capable of inverting the signal internally.
But, to add some confusion, there are certain FrSky receivers that expect a straight uninverted serial :smiley:

1 Like

Without https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/12270 the harmonic notch is only static, drastically reducing its value (except perhaps for helis) which is why I am so keen to get it in :slight_smile:. If it goes in I’m ready to write some extensive wiki pages documenting its use as, granted, it’s a bit of a dark art at the moment.

4 Likes

@andyp1per, yes Leonard is also very keen that the final part of the notch filter go in as well so I think it’s very likely we will include it in 4.0.0. Whether it makes it into 4.0.0-rc1 or -rc2 I can’t promise immediately…

4 Likes

That’s great news!

I would argue that it’s the “next” part rather than the “final” part, as there is always https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/11886 which I am using to drive the notch, but probably too much of a stretch for 4.0!

And then there’s dshot …

… and double notches …

To someone interested in some testing details:
We use “Continuous Integration” aka CI tests that test every single line of the source code against expected results. Right now those tests cover 50% of all source code lines against SITL based simulations. The results are here : http://firmware.ardupilot.org/coverage/

On top of that the developers and beta testers perform flight tests on real hardware.

This is just a small part of the quality measures that the ardupilot community uses :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have tested the flight:

Testing latest copter 4.0.0 on a quad with MatekSYS F765 Wing FC

First thing i noticed that CH7_OPT - CH12_OPT parameters are missing. This makes my radio switches programmed to ARM_DISARM, RTL, LAND, AUTOTUNE are no longer working.
Any plans to bring this functionality back to 4.0?

thanks
maciek

look for RCx_OPTION…

@Eosbandi it worked - thanks. MissionPlanner still is not reflecting this configuration.

I have successfully passed the test flight of a complete multi-flight mode development version 4.0 firmware, using the T-rex 500 FBL helicopter and the flight control of Matek F765 wing, I uploaded the video for your reference.

1 Like

That has to be the SMOOTHEST helicopter I have seen in a LONG LONG time. The video frame rate shows the head speed is constant even during maneuvers.

Well Done!

Thanks for attention!

GOV uses the HOBBYWING Platinum V4 60A. This ESC’s ESC speed is very good and the head speed control is very accurate.

@rmackay9 @Eosbandi @ChrisOlson @bnsgeyer

Arduheli’s firmware v3.6.x has a “new loiter” mode, with efficient maneuverability, automatic turning aileron mixing, and the effect of a large elevation brake. How did it disappear in 4.0 dev?

@Eosbandi @rmackay9 Could you please clarify what happening to a configuration parameters when migrating from 3.6 to 4?
I’ve noticed some of my parameters have different values after upgrade, so I need to set them back. Is it possible that a newly added parameter corrupt some another param at current group or at neighboring group?
My concern is there could be another important parameters broken that I’m not aware of.

And another question is about PIDs - after upgrade my copter attitude is not so stable as it was on 3.6. Looks like I need to do autotune. Is that expected?

If parameters need changing to preserve behaviour, the code does that for you automatically, so do not be surprised if some parameters change their value.

But to be on the safe side, post here exactly which parameters changed their value.

No need to autotune or change the PIDs

1 Like

@sergbokh There is always an update part in the releases which converts values from previous version. However the change in code from 3.6 to 4.0 is huge and there are many-many new functions and settings which cannot be utilized with a simple upgrade.

So if you want a quick dirty look, you can upgrade in place. But if you need the real deal and want to learn then I would recommend a fresh install.

@amilcarlucas @Eosbandi thanks, I didn’t know there is an update function that does some conversion.
I think some of my RC_OPTION became wrong after upgrade, but I need to re-check.

@zhangsir,

I’m not sure what you mean by “new loiter” disappearing. Nothing has disappeared as far as I know. Loiter mode is still there, PosHold is still there…

Not that the Loiter mode disappears, it is lost in the 3.6.7, 3.6.8 firmware, there is a brake action similar to the “Break” mode, and the rocker can be loosened quickly. However, in the version above 3.6.9, after the release lever is released, there is no brake action like the “Break” mode, and the airplane will drift a certain distance to stop. I don’t know if you can understand me?Or I will upload a video to compare it another day!

I found the update log, it is indeed added in the 3.6.0rc1 update, added “New Loiter”, faster roll and pitch response, braking. However, it is true that in the recent update of the firmware version, through multiple tests, it was found that the Loiter mode in versions 3.6.9, 3.6.10, and 3.6.11 does not have the above features!QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20191024171944

1 Like