Best mode for manual/assisted plane landing?

Hello. I have been using Manual mode for landing my plane. Is there a flight mode that would give at least roll stabilization from wind gusts, but would not be unrecoverable without changing modes in the event of a stall? I’ve stalled in Acro mode (before I read you need to take it out of Acro to recover). That did not go well. Is there a mode comparable to other stabilization systems like Spektrum AS3X or the Aura that helps stabilize but doesn’t interfere with stall recovery?
Thanks for any info you can provide,

KevinB

Try fbwa, if you stall you are doing something quite wrong. Check your c of g isnt too far aft, and keep it flying no matter what mode you’re in

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Scott. I actually went out yesterday and tried a number of flight modes at altitude and purposely put it into a hard stall. FBWA is the best one I found as well.

KevinB

FBWA is really good at preventing stalls when everything is properly setup and configured. But just be warned that if the plane does actually stall, FBWA (and all other stabilized modes) can actually aggravate the stall without proper pilot intervention. The good news is that in FBWA (when properly setup) you almost need to be trying to get it to stall.

Thanks Allister. A few years ago, I got into a stall in a tight turn at several hundred feet while in ACRO mode. At that point, I had not read the part in the manual where it said stalls in ACRO would be unrecoverable and you had to switch into Manual to get the plane flying again. The manual was right! :slight_smile: Luckily it went into tall crops in a flat spin and did virtually no damage.
I was asking my question as we are having a LOT of windy gusty weather right now and some roll stabilization would be nice to have on approach. I’ll try a few days of landing with FBWA and see how it goes.
Thanks,
KevinB

With stall protection turned on the plane will push the nose down a couple of degrees in a steep turn if it feels it is going to slow. Not enough for most people to notice but it helps.

If you are used to flying manual RC then I’ll add one tip: don’t over control in FBWA. The stabilization will do amazing things, but I know traditional RC pilots that struggle with it because they are used to making the corrections. In FBWA I find it’s better to think of it as adjusting the position of the plane, versus manual mode where you are adjusting the attitude of the plane.

Hi Allister.
Yesterday I did a bunch of landing approaches using FBWA in 15km/h-28km/h crosswinds. It worked very well. Your comment about letting the FBWA do the roll corrections was spot on. Letting it do those corrections and only adding input to line up on the runway works best.
Thanks again for all the replies. Have yourself a great day!
KevinB

1 Like