Benchmark Test of the Twin Engine Mapping Planes

Hi Naterater, I stumbled across this benchmark testing of yours while searching for data about the Believer for a school project. I am amazed by the amount and thoroughness of your tests so far.
I would like to ask if you would answer some questions that I have about your tests.

1. For your believer flight test with the 12x12 APC, was the 60A draw at 30degree climb and 17m/s done with your payload of 4100 grams? If so, have you tested Amp draw, climb angle & speed with lighter payloads?

2. Did you conduct tests with the recommended setups as per the specifications on the Banggood page of the Believer? If so, would you be willing to share those data with me?

3. May I have permission to use your data for my school project? Due to time constraints and limited budget, I am sadly unable to conduct these flight tests myself. ):
    I will be sure to credit you for it in my report.

Thanks a bunch!

Gavin,

Thanks for the compliments. The climbouts were published with full payload numbers. I have not done much work to test at lighter payloads… I would expect the initial amp draw to be very similar (most of the power is due to the high torque required to turn the high-pitched props at low airspeed), however the continuous climb might take slightly less power, maybe 20% less at 1kg less. I would expect a gain in airspeed in addition to a slightly reduced current load. That’s an approximation, not hard data though. The easiest way to reduce amp draw at full power would be to lower your KV on the motor. I use 4012 and 475kv motors now… the nearly 40A per motor is a bit much for smaller motors like I was originally testing with. The lower KV motors pull closer to 35A on initial takeoff now.

I did not really follow the Banggood page setup, and I don’t really have anything that would match their data. Sorry. My only point is that the CG can be safely run behind the published location, especially at heavier payloads.

You absolutely have my permission to use this data for your school projects. I do ask that you send me some more details though at dualrc@outlook.com. Gook luck!

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Hope you are safe and well.

I really appreciate all your benchmarking, amazing work to say the least.

Can you please confirm what your final setup was for the believer to yield the longest flight times:

• Motor
  • Esc
  • Total mAh lithium ion & voltage (xS)
  • prop (pitch length)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Nathan,

Like 1280 above, I too would love the final specs including

Motor
ESC
Batteries
Prop
etc,

If you could also supply a link for the specific motor that would be amazing, as all my google foo is turning up is a skywalker 650kv

Thankyou, I was given this link through FB group and I appreciate the work you have done. Looks like a believer project (VTOL version)

Check out the Freeman 2300 if you haven’t already.

I’m building my first Nimbus 1800 (PLANE). My plan as it stands is the KDE3520-400 motors and 12x12 props for this build looking at about 4500-5000grams AUW, according to e-calc, props motors work well, the indication is a prop stall speed around the 50km/h mark. Having read through this post I am keen to use 12x12 and am interested on how well these props hand launch.

Steve