Bad Battery error when RC Transmitter is on

Ardurover 4.2.2 on Cubepilot Orange. I have an Frsky Taranis radio and Frsky X8R Rx connected to RC IN w/ Sbus. When I power up the Taranis Tx, I get a “Bad Battery” error on the Mission Planner (V1.3.77) HUD. I can Arm, but when armed the HUD shows “Bad Battery” flashing quickly to “Safety” and back.

Messages do not give any indication what is wrong, what would be causing this? BTW, the Taranis Tx battery is fully charged and the 36V battery powering the rover is at 39V, connected to Power1. Battery Monitor is working and configured for low battery at 34V.

@geofrancis I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I had read that post in my previous searching for a solution, but I don’t see how it applies.

Have you got the battery set as batt1?

Yes, well BATT anyway, here are my BATT parameters;

BATT_AMP_OFFSET,0
BATT_AMP_PERVLT,17
BATT_ARM_MAH,0
BATT_ARM_VOLT,0
BATT_CAPACITY,3300
BATT_CRT_MAH,0
BATT_CRT_VOLT,0
BATT_CURR_PIN,3
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT,0
BATT_FS_LOW_ACT,0
BATT_FS_VOLTSRC,0
BATT_LOW_MAH,0
BATT_LOW_TIMER,10
BATT_LOW_VOLT,34
BATT_MONITOR,4
BATT_OPTIONS,0
BATT_SERIAL_NUM,-1
BATT_VLT_OFFSET,0
BATT_VOLT_MULT,12.12745
BATT_VOLT_PIN,2

set
1d615d671d6de4b58cfd3efb247c463e78a86dc3

measure voltage and type into mission planner where it says “measured voltage” and it will calibrate the voltage sensor for you.

It was calibrated and measuring correctly. I found the power module (a cubepilot power brick mini) was only rated for 8S and I was using a 10S battery. I have changed to a 4S battery for now and still getting “Bad Battery” error so disabled the battery monitor. Will revisit when my Holybro 60V/12S module arrives.

I also learned about the “Safety” button, as this is my first time using a Pixhawk/Cubepilot, I did not realize what its’ function was, it is now disabled.

1 Like

by over volting it you might have damaged the pin that measures voltage.

1 Like

I now have the new Holybro PM02 V3 installed, supports 12S/51V. It is setup correctly according to Holybro’s guide, and accurately measuring my 10S/36V battery. However, I still get the “Bad Battery” error in HUD.
Makes no sense when the battery voltage shows a nice 36.6V in HUD.

Here are my BATT parameters:
BATT_AMP_OFFSET,0
BATT_AMP_PERVLT,36.364
BATT_ARM_MAH,0
BATT_ARM_VOLT,0
BATT_CAPACITY,18000
BATT_CRT_MAH,0
BATT_CRT_VOLT,0
BATT_CURR_PIN,3
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT,0
BATT_FS_LOW_ACT,0
BATT_FS_VOLTSRC,0
BATT_LOW_MAH,0
BATT_LOW_TIMER,10
BATT_LOW_VOLT,32
BATT_MONITOR,4
BATT_OPTIONS,0
BATT_SERIAL_NUM,-1
BATT_VLT_OFFSET,0
BATT_VOLT_MULT,18.182
BATT_VOLT_PIN,2
How do I begin troubleshooting this??

Appears I was using the wrong pins for the Cube Orange.
I had followed * [Docs] » [Peripheral Hardware] » [Battery Monitors (aka Power Monitors/Modules)
and originally had:
BATT_VOLT_PIN,2
and
BATT_CURR_PIN,3

Now using
BATT_VOLT_PIN,14
and
BATT_CURR_PIN,15

No more “Bad Battery” errors, and both voltage and current appear to be measuring correctly.

2 Likes