Autotuning Crash / First Flight Crash

Hey…any suggestions for a Tutorial how to connect ESCs via arduino. Tried this one (Link), but i got a timeout error (stk500v2)

PS: I ordered hobbywing pentium ESCs…just in case

Why have you got the ESC BEC connected to the flight controller? I believe you should almost never do that.

The good news is there doesn’t seem to be any indication of ESC desync or propulsion failure from these logs. It does look like it all goes a bit squiffy immediately after autotune starts. Does the copter fly in stabilize OK, with sharp attitude changes? You need a reasonable manual tune before you attempt autotune. It looks like the autotune commands a sudden movement and the controller can’t cope with this, possibly due to poor initial tuning.

On the emlid documents for navio2 i’ve read about power redundancy (controller gets power, even if the primary power source stops working), this sounds resonable for me. Also the ESCs have 3 wires, so I’m carefully cutting a wire, when i don’T exatly know, what i’m doing.
To be honest, I don’t really get it, why I should NOT connect these extra cables :D…Maybe you can sort things out for me…Thank you.

Okay, thank you for taking a look at my logs. Maybe you can say, where to look for sync issues in the logs.

At my very first try to lift of, my copter was totally not flyable. It wobbled extremly and it was not possible to climb a few centimeters. So I changed the PIDs and after that I was able to fly for several minutes. I even climed around 15 meters or something like that without any Problem.
But it was not that sable as I expected (Saw some cool videos). So I thought autotune would be the way to got.

Would it help to lower the aggressiveness of the autotune as it is described here?

Thanks for your help. I’m always willing to learn :smiley:

Sorry I was wrong! I mis-remembered that you shouldn’t connect opto ESC power wires:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-and-motors.html?highlight=esc
If you are connecting the 5v power from the ESCs then you should also add a zener diode:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-powering-the-pixhawk.html?highlight=esc#powering-backup-off-the-servo-rail
Yes it’s a good thing to add an extra power source to your flight controller if it supports it.

Have a look at this thread for a clear indication of a desync:

Sure you can try to reduce the aggressiveness to start with, but you’re much better off getting a half-decent manual tune first. Don’t try autotune before you can fly in stabilize with sharp movements, without losing control. Here’s a good way of doing it:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/ac_rollpitchtuning.html

So.
I’ve did a Second attempt. New frame (s500) and new controllers (hobbywing x-rotor).
Everything fine Now. Copter flies pretty stable with Standard parameters. I think some fine Tuning is still necessary, but for now it looks great.
I don’t know the exact reasons for my crashs earlier. Maybe a mix of different Things:D