AutoTune not tuning H-frame

Hello,

We’re on Copter-3.6.7. We’ve tuned many quadcopters (X-frames) before and feel like we know the process decently well. However, this is our first H-frame. So like the docs say, we changed the rotation of each prop.

For tuning, we have GPS on and first just set the AUTOTUNE_AXES param to roll. We also upped the RC#_DZ params to 80 to make sure we’re centered.

One thing to note is when flying, the quad oscillates some and has generally shaky flight; however, the Vibe screen on MissionPlanner shows vibration is fine levels.

So the Messages on MissionPlanner show a bunch of lines like “(R) D up” or something (don’t remember specific wording) and “p=XXXXX d=XXXXX,” but those numbers seemed to stay the same. All of these messages are new, which is cool stuff and very useful! Another message that shows up is “TWITCHING,” but it only showed up like twice in like 15 min of flight. The quad definitely did not seem to be trying to Roll (we have AUTOTUNE_AGGR at max). We tried Pitch and Yaw as well to same results. Just sits in the air and doesn’t seem to be trying. Unsure what to try next.

Sorry I don’t have a log file for y’all. Forgot to grab it off the drone before leaving the lab. I can get it tomorrow though if that would be useful. Thanks!

2 Likes

Really need the log for this

I have uploaded the logs for this here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1etCDklSSFO-brQbWkeqCzFlTDvMdtOet?usp=sharing

There’s a lot of logs there because we tried multiple times for each Pitch, Roll, Yaw.

I think log to look at first would be 17-33-23. The mode was set to AutoTune and it just hovered in the air without looking like it was actually tuning. It continued to yaw sometimes for yaw realignment but otherwise just hovered.

Appreciate the help.

Hello,

Don’t know if y’all had a chance to look at the logs just yet, but I definitely would appreciate the help.

Thanks again!

Can you describe the hardware if possible? Propeller size and power setup. If you are running large props, twitching won’t start unless you have lower filter values set.

Autotune works best with default PIDs as start (4.5, 4.5, 4.5) Anything above 10 will end up unsuccessful autotune, just like yours. I’m not sure that it is the original intention of the developers but this is how it works.

1 Like

Sure. It’s 9.5in props. Like 2kg. 4000 mAh 4S LiPo. Nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary.

Wow, interesting! I don’t remember setting those, so I had assumed they were on default. I’ll reset those and try again next time I get a chance.

If it is true it should be written on the wiki

We went out and tested the auto-tuning again. We rolled back the stabilize P gains to the default 4.5. I can confirm that the auto-tune worked as designed this time. Thank you @Eosbandi for letting us know! This really should be in the documentation, and or have a check and safely fail when auto-tune is initiated. I would be willing to try and write the check, if you all think this is a good idea.

I want to only add that if with default pids fly badly, you need to manual tune first to get work, I experienced with the racer. Glad to hear you can solved :slight_smile: