ArduWhoop!!! (Smallest ArduPilot platform, 72g micro ArduCopter with Flywoo F745 AIO+85mm frame)

My long-held dream of an autopilot weighing less than 100 grams has become a reality with the introduction of the AIO FC. The small size and light weight of the aircraft provides safety, economy, and more flight opportunities, and facilitates the cycle of learning and practicing autopilot operation with the actual aircraft.

Other than the AIO FC, the aircraft is composed of inexpensive general-purpose parts, none of which are made by a 3D printer. Parts are readily available and easy to repair in case of malfunction. This makes it easy for anyone to get started and keep going.

It can be connected to QGroundControl and Mission Planner for setup, mission creation, and log analysis, and it would also be possible to develop apps and manage the aircraft through MAVLink.

I always thought that the price of the aircraft and the lack of flying sites was one of the disincentives to learning ArduPilot. Furthermore, in Japan, registration and remote ID will be required for aircraft weighing 100g or more from June 20, 2022, making it difficult for ordinary drone flyers and engineers.
Under such circumstances, I think this ArduWhoop will come in handy.

Right now, it is not equipped with VTX and camera. However, I think it is possible to mount them at less than 100g, even including changing the type of battery. Depending on the intended use, the mounting can be interchangeable. Next, I am interested in indoor flight with optical flow.

The aircraft quickly acquire 13-14 GPS, but the accuracy is poor, the aircraft often drifts in Loiter, and the difference between the RTL landing site and home is 3-5m.
I think I need to find a better location for the GPS and noise reduction.

Thanks to ArduPilot community for the great job. Thanks.

Configuration:

Precautions:

11 Likes

I am currently messing with something of order 55 grams with a VTX and a HD recording camera.

So far, no GPS, no compass and no optical flow, because I want to get some stability first. The problem is, the MPU6000 accelerometer (with the 1kHz frequency) is quickly fooled by motor vibrations at ~450Hz, so it starts leaning pretty seriously from the very beginning.

Next stop, a carbon frame (instead of the 3D-printed one). This is already ordered, hope to get it soon and continue challenging the laws of physics :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nice.
It is too bad we can’t find on the market yet an AIO F7 or H7 FC with 2Mb of flash memory to fully support Arducopter. The 1 Mb lflash on this Goku board limits and constraints Arducopter’s functionality.

1 Like

The JHEMCU GH743AIO appears to have 2MB of flash as it uses a H743 chip, but no Arducopter target for it yet :frowning:

2 Likes

from its specs it is a 3s to 6s board and BLHeli-S esc firmware: should be from 2S and BLHeli-32 firmware
Size should allow 30x30 mounting in addition to 25x25
The cpu spec is not detailed enough to be sure it effectively has 2mb flash memory (especially in these times of shortages, suppliers change the cpu to what is available, without notice)

1 Like

With the existence of the bluejay firmware, BLHeli-S chips essentially get second life, since bluejay supports RPM telemetry via bidirectional DShot, which seems to be 51% of what people want from BLHeli-32. So at least this is so much of a problem (as the missing CPU specs, for instance).

And, of course, S are supposedly cheaper and more accessible than 32, which might make some difference in these times of shortages and uncertainty.

1 Like

Could you share your PID tune? Or starting point. I have a similar project, but struggling to get off the ground.

1 Like

If this question is for me, my latest build looked like this:

with a dry weight of 24 grams, wet weight of 40 grams, the 1S 850mAh battery, HappyModel’s EX0802 19000kV motors and 51mm diameter props.

For this build, the relevant PID values after some tuning were:

ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX,471049.16
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX,423304.50
ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX,82576.35

ATC_ANG_PIT_P,30.78
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,32.40
ATC_ANG_YAW_P,14.88

ATC_RAT_PIT_D,0.00257213
ATC_RAT_PIT_I,0.1086
ATC_RAT_PIT_P,0.1086
ATC_RAT_PIT_FLTD,80
ATC_RAT_PIT_FLTT,80

ATC_RAT_RLL_D,0.00339868
ATC_RAT_RLL_I,0.145577
ATC_RAT_RLL_P,0.145577
ATC_RAT_RLL_FLTD,80
ATC_RAT_RLL_FLTT,80

ATC_RAT_YAW_P,0.09585626
ATC_RAT_YAW_I,0.00958563

ATC_RAT_YAW_FLTE,3.86890459
ATC_RAT_YAW_FLTT,80

INS_ACC_FILTER,20
INS_GYRO_FILTER,80

and Harmonic Notch configured to use what BlueJay outputs:

INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1
INS_HNTCH_ATT,40
INS_HNTCH_BW,100
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,200
INS_HNTCH_HMNCS,1
INS_HNTCH_MODE,3
INS_HNTCH_OPTS,2
INS_HNTCH_REF,1.0

Of course, you need to scale most of these using your craft’s weight, RPM, voltage and propeller dimensions.

1 Like

@gherve
Sorry for the delay in noticing your post.
I basically followed these steps to tune the vehicle for stable flight. I applied values for almost 5" propeller size.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/tuning-process-instructions.html

I will also let you know the actural parameters files after tuning, but it depends on the vehicle configuration, so please use it as a reference only.

ap-param_20220529_01.param (18.3 KB)
ap-param_20220530_01_GPS.param (18.3 KB)

Hi, i have flywoo goku gn745 aio. i wrote arducopter firmware to board, but it doesnt work. Error is " error: baro: unable to initialise drivers" How i can fix this problem? plase help me. Can you give me your number or email? thank you.

1 Like

@Elcin_Abdullayev
Thank you for your question.
Although this is not a fundamental solution, I would like to inform you about the error I encountered and how to fix it.

• The error occurred when power was supplied only via USB, without batteries.
    → It was resolved by connecting a battery, but probably reoccurred afterwards.

• When an external barometer and compass are connected.
    → Abnormal values for altitude were frequent and unusable.
    https://flywoo.net/products/flywoo-bqnano-v1-0-model-w-compass-baro-0-6g

• I2C connection was disconnected.
    → The error was resolved, but it was not the root cause because the GPS compass could not be used.