ArduRover autopilot choice to tinker with firmware code for State Estimation and Controllers

Hi ArduPilot people! I’m trying to plan out a rover build using an RC car with dual GPS and IMU(s). The purpose of this, other than for fun, is to understand and play around with the firmware code for the EKF and the speed/steering/navigation controllers and hopefully try out some of my ideas for estimation & control.

To that end, after going through this page, I’m still trying to decide between a PixHawk or similar RTOS v/s a Linux autopilot and would appreciate if any of the experienced members could shed some insight.

Linux Pros: Ease of making changes to the firmware, could get a “future-proof”, powerful computer
Linux Cons: Hardware interfacing might not be straightforward for all devices, not hard real-time, “bloated” compared to RTOS (?)

RTOS Pros: Looks easier to get started based on the docs, real-time, more extensive community support from looking at this forum, and I can always add a companion Linux computer later if I’d like.
RTOS Cons: I have no experience with any RTOSes. Although I do see that ChibiOS has extensive documentation and an e-book so it wouldn’t be impossible to pick up (am I wrong?).

For context I have a few years of experience writing C++ on Linux and built this for a professor when I was in school.

Are there any other considerations that I have missed here or any incorrect assumptions that I’ve made? Cost is a factor but I think both categories have a range of prices and for a rover, think I can get away with a cheaper autopilot.

Would anyone here know what kind of setup the devs use to test out new features for releases (rovers specifically)?