ArduPlane autonomous flight video with takeoff and landing

This is my first post here in this forum. I just wanted to share a video of my plane. I have designed and scratch-built this plane specifically to be flown by the ArduPlane system. It has large control surfaces and a landing gear with nose wheel steering and a lot of suspension travel to work well on my local flying field with is a bit bumpy.

My goal with this project is to create a plane that can fly waypoint missions and takeoff and land reliably in autonomous mode. I have no practical use for this plane. I am just doing this as a hobbyist that enjoys experimenting.

I will continue to improve the plane. I plan to add Lidar altitude sensor and airspeed sensor to improve landing precision in the future.

I must say that I am very impressed with the ArduPilot software! Good documentation also. Yes, it requires a lot of experimentation and tuning to get it to work well, but that is part of the challenge I think.

4 Likes

Impressive. Well done.

Nice. If you are looking for other fun and cool stuff to do with Ardupilot you can also try boats or a dual motor tail sitter.