APM Planner 2.0 Mac usb issue

I have no problems connecting with 10.10.3 and 2.0.17. I am not sure what the issue can be. It does look like you have two flight controllers connected as the port is enumerated to /dev/cu.usbmodem0111

What other devices do you have connected?

Same problem here.

2 Macs, iMac running 10.8.5, Powerbook running 10.6

All worked with genuine 3DR Mavlink until 2.1.4

After that, I canā€™t get any link at all via radio, crashes 2.1.7 - just hangsā€¦
Installed the FTDI drivers with the 2.1.7 download, tried everything I can think of.

Used to work, now it doesnā€™t.

Getting very pi$$ed off!!!

Iā€™ve spent most of today trying to sort this out.

Bizarrely, occasionally I will get a connection and everything works.
I disconnect and try reconnecting, nothing for another hour, then suddenly Iā€™m back in.
Tried 2x different computers, 3x different 3DR radios.

Fed up nowā€¦ :cry:

Try removing the FTDI drivers see for instructions ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ā€¦ AC_OSX.pdf

You probably need to reinstall afterwards, but it may help.

I donā€™t have a 10.8 Mac to test on, so cannot verify.

Thank you Bill. Itā€™s bedtime in the UK, but Iā€™ll take some more tablets in the morning and try againā€¦!

Bill

Deleted the FTDI.kext fileā€¦
There were no receipts, so ignored that bitā€¦
Reinstalled the FTDI driversā€¦

IT WORKS!!!
BOTH MACHINES!
I can disconnect and reconnect at will!
All good so far!

Iā€™ll keep you postedā€¦

Thank you!
:smiley: :smiley:

I also experienced the problem that I plugged the Pixhawk into the Mac with a USB cable, started APM Planner 2.0, and the APM Planner could not recognize a COM port to the Pixhawk. After reinstalling drivers a few times, I went to the cabinet of miscellaneous cables where I found the USB cable and got two more of the same kind. The third cable I tried worked. My Pixhawk didnā€™t come with a USB cable, and I think the first one may only have been intended to power a device like a small radio, not open up a USB port on a Mac.

1 Like

I am having this exact same issue, but with a twist. After installing APM on my Mac, I HAD the Pixhawk sending data to APM running on my Mac and I could see the GPS, elevation, and the map was local to where i was, and I WAS receiving the audible disarm alerts, but telemetry was not working. I had red on both sides (ground control and on the craft) So i watched a few YouTube videos on getting telemetry working. The only way it could connect for the radio was to use a DIFFERENT port than what had been used by the computer to connect to the craft. I dont mean a different baud rate, I mean a different serial connection entirely. There had been 4 serial connections displayed. Telemetry started working when I selected the cu bluetooth incoming port at 57600. It reported that connection was a success and populated all of the correct radio parameters and downloaded 417 config settings. But immediately thereafter and until now, despite reinstalling the serial driver and the the APM 2.0 software day build 8-18-18 which was the only one that would install without crashing, the ability to connect from APM on the computer to the craft has disappeared. It only allows me to connect with the radio 57600 connection and the other connection I used previously to connect to from APM to the craft has disappeared, thus I no longer receive any GPS data, nor any other data from the craft, nor any auible alerts. Its just sits in silence. Frustratingā€¦any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Forgot to mention, Mac OS version is 10.13. My suspicion is that the xml thatā€™s being read in after start up of the APM app that I believe is saving parameters for the drone and for telemetry settings where the parameters for each are correct (both reported or demonstrated success) MUST be whatā€™s causing this. The driver needs to be device specific somehow. It connects to the computer via the USB when it hasnt been deleted or disabled and it works. Telemetry shows green on both ends even though no data being received by radio is supposedly correct.
I did read about following instructions for removing the conflicting driver. I did not find the D2XXHelper driver. I have reinstalled the FTDI driver 4 times now. It has worked after the first time and after the last install (briefly to connect only) then reports the connection is missing.

what I see in terminal is:

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls
ACS6x.kext FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/cu.*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port (this connection appears)

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port (this connection appears)

I dont find any USB connections, despite the fact they were used to connect to APM earlier:

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/usb/
ls: /dev/usb/: No such file or directory

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/usb.*
ls: /dev/usb.*: No such file or directory

Previously, immediately after installing the FTDI USB serial driver I saw two usb drivers in the connect dropdown in APM Planner 2.

The two I previously saw were labelled as cu.usb and tty.usb. The cu.usb allowed me to connect to the laptop using the USB to microUSB cable. Now there are no drivers labelled as either one.

apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/cu.usb.*
ls: /dev/cu.usb.: No such file or directory
apples-MBP:Extensions apple$ ls /dev/tty.usb.

ls: /dev/tty.usb.*: No such file or directory
apples-MBP:Extensions apple$

I could go along with the theory that the cable wasnā€™t designed to connect to the droneā€¦IF the drivers were still there. I SAW it workingā€¦

Ahhh, you gave me so much hope. Deleted the FTDI drivers from the Library/extensions folder and reinstalled with no luck.