APM Planner 2.0 Mac usb issue

Hello all. I am new to all this. I installed the apm planner and have to make the usb a comm port. I tried the download several times but still can not for the life of me get it to work. Is there anyone who can help?
Thanks

I am having this exact same issue. I have searched the forum to no avail. I have installed two separate USB drivers, turned off my blue tooth, installed the software on Yosemite and Mavricks with no luck. Same problem every time.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

did you install the FTDI drivers that came in the install packager (i.e. the .dmg file?)

Yes, I have installed the drivers that came with the install packageā€¦even went to the manufacures site and downloaded them. I also installed a separate set of drivers from another thread in the forum. No luck.

Should you be able to select a USB port regardless of wether the autopilot is connected?

I also did the FTDI driver download. Iā€™m sure it is a simple fix if someone can help

you can only connect to the USB port when it is connected. You can use the ā€˜System Informationā€™ app to see connected USB devices.

The other option is to open terminal app and type

That will list connected usb devices that can be connected to. you should see one called cu.usbmodem1 when the pixhawk is connected.

I did not buy a APM 2.5 from 3drā€¦instead buying a probable knock off from Amazonā€¦could this be the problem?

Only if the board is defective.

When I plug it in, it lights up but it is not recognized in my hardware configuration under USB devices. Going to try a windows computer before I give up and say its defective

Would it help if i run bootcamp on my mac or VMware or an emulator to run the windows version of APM? Or would i still have the problem that the COM port cant be found? Iā€™m in the same situation as you guys.

[color=#FF0000]APM 2.0.16 + Yosemite (Maverick as well) + HK Mega 2.7 [/color]does not connect to the board (APM cant find the comm port)
ā€¦and have no PC availableā€¦I enjoyed the blinking LEDs on the board so far. :slight_smile:

My APM2.6 works as expected. Try installing the Arduino Drivers to use the APM2.x HW
from System Information

[code]Arduino Mega 2560:

Product ID: 0x0010
Vendor ID: 0x2341
Version: 0.01
Serial Number: 640323739333514062F0
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 27
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 400[/code]

Yes, it could help if you donā€™t get it running on OSX. Iā€™m working also with OSX and I had radio-calibration issues with APM-Planner. So I went to mission planner (unfortunately only for Windows) and ran it unter Win7 with VMWare Fusion. It works nicely, I would definitely try APM on Windows before you kick your hardware in the recycle bin :wink: Now Iā€™m using APM Planner on OSX and I hope billbonney gets this problem with the calibration fixed, then Iā€™m absolutely happy with APM-Planner :wink:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œfiloudebruxellesā€]Would it help if i run bootcamp on my mac or VMware or an emulator to run the windows version of APM? Or would i still have the problem that the COM port cant be found? Iā€™m in the same situation as you guys.

[color=#FF0000]APM 2.0.16 + Yosemite (Maverick as well) + HK Mega 2.7 [/color]does not connect to the board (APM cant find the comm port)
ā€¦and have no PC availableā€¦I enjoyed the blinking LEDs on the board so far. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Unfonrtunately I wasā€™n able to run APM Planner on VMWare. APM Planner couldnā€™t start and the program closed. Iā€™m stuck here.

Can you run System Information App with the board plugged in and confirm the board is not showing up as USB connected device. (or create a report for the System Information App and post it here)

Do you have a 3DR Telemetry Radio? Have you tried installing the Arduino IDE and see if that fixes it (it will install the Arduino Device Driver) see arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

[quote=ā€œbillbonneyā€]Can you run System Information App with the board plugged in and confirm the board is not showing up as USB connected device. (or create a report for the System Information App and post it here)

Do you have a 3DR Telemetry Radio? Have you tried installing the Arduino IDE and see if that fixes it (it will install the Arduino Device Driver) see arduino.cc/en/Main/Software[/quote]

Thanks for the hints but installation of the arduino software, nor the 2.0.17 version of APM Planner helped. Here is a screenshot of the system information showing no connection whatsoever with the board.

I have no 3DR telemetry.

What version of Mac are you using? Have you tried powering the board using a battery?

It maybe your board is dead, you could try pugging it into a PC and see if it shows up in device manager.

I have Yosemite installed on an imac and Mavericks on a macbookpro. None of them see the board. Iā€™ll try to connect using a pc later today. Trying to convince my sysadmin at work to give me admin rights on the work laptop so i can install APM. But you know sysadminsā€¦:wink: Keep you updated.

You donā€™t need admin rights, just need to see in device manager if the USB device is recognized. My feeling here is your board is not working,

i got a pc and installed the APM 2,0 and the board works fine now. Pitty that the APM on mac is such a hassle.

Having similar issues to others in this thread running on a mac with 10.10.3. Had a working copter and 3DR radios. After I installed the latest version Iā€™m unable to connect to my copter via USB or MAVLINK.

Tried installing new drivers. Can see /dev/cu.usbmodema0111 from the terminal when I have the copter connected, but APM is unable to connect. Tried several previous versions of AMP with no change.

Unable to even update firmware firmware on copter. says it canā€™t open com port.